Chapter 25

When you arrived home you were met with the sound of Cecil's teleportation- a swift and short sound, but easily identifiable. The Grayson's were still out, so you'd have to deal with him yourself.

With a long sigh, still teary eyed from your interaction with Detective Parr, you set down your grocery bag of ramen but kept your back to him. "What do you want, Cecil. I'm the only one here, so if you want Mark or Mr. Grayson, you'll have to look somewhere else." You heard the fabric of his suit jacket shift as he put a hand on his hip. "Actually, I came to talk to you." You frowned, turning toward him slowly. "Why?" You hoped it wasn't because he knew you'd gone out and been recognized- well, mostly recognized. You'd gotten away without a complete interaction.

"I got intel that someone went to Russia and wiped out an entire facility of scientists and mutants. After looking at some camera feeds, my guys found this." He pulled up a blurry picture on his phone, showing it to you. Upon closer inspection, you realized it was you, draped in red light and with clawed and black hands, thick with decay and black veins. "I'm pretty sure we both know who that is." Crossing your arms uneasily, you took a deep breath, feeling as though you were being watched all around. "I-I don't-" You didn't know what to say. There was no real way to deny it wasn't you- and even if you did, you knew it would likely just get you in even bigger trouble. "It was me. But you don't know the whole story, okay? They-" His frown deepened and voice loundend to near shouting, but not quite. A stern tone. "They did what, Y/n? They found out about you? Because if they didn't know you existed then, they certainly know now."

You threw up your hands. "I'm sorry, okay?! I didn't do shit- they tried to capture me, so I- I went after them!" You yelled, trying to get your point across and not wanting to be locked up or become Cecil's enemy. "How did they find you?" He asked, voice back to its normal level now, brows still creased. "I-I don't know. I was just flying back home after training, and they shot this weird metal cylinder into the air and caught me." Cecil let out a breath, turning from you and crossing his arms, deep in thought. After a moment, he asked, "Did you do anything recently that could have drawn any attention to you?" With the thing that happened with Parr, maybe. But when it came to getting a whole nation's government's attention? "No." You told him, breath shaky.

Another moment passed and Cecil turned back towards you, leaning against the backing of the couch. "Have you ever thought about being a superhero like Mark?" You gave a long shrug. "I mean, kinda. I used to wish I could all the time, but now, I'm honestly not completely sure." You felt the presence around you diminish, the invisible figures leaving. "Well, talk to Mark about it sometime." You let out a laugh, quirking a brow. "What, so he could convince me to be one? And what about Nolan?" His eyes darkened a hint at the mention of Nolan. "I think you know why I didn't mention Nolan." Your eyes widened, and you leaned in, bringing your voice down to a whisper. "You guys are suspicious of him too?" He rose a brow back at you. "So you do know something." You shook your head. "No, just feelings. I mean, I did feel like some stuff was off having to do with certain... events." The massacre of the Guardians of the Globe was one of them, but the things the Dead King said was also another big one for you. "After all, I am a detective, too. Or, I was, at least." You said, feeling a hint depressed due to your recent encounter with Detective Parr.

Cecil pressed a hand into his earpiece, brows furrowing. Removing his hand, he looked back to you, a sense of urgency about him. "Talk to Mark. Think about becoming a hero." He took a few steps back. "And try not to get yourself seen again." You tensed and were about to open your mouth to defend yourself only for the man to disappear in a flash of data and particles, teleporting elsewhere.

Groaning, you flopped into the couch, and hid your face. Crap. You thought to yourself. Your phone vibrated, and you took it out to see a message from Mark.

The Unkillable: Death Sworn [INVINCIBLEXREADER]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें