Ch. 57

Dust rose in a mighty cloud as the walls crumbled. With a wave of his hand, Solas signaled our platoon to move.

Racing across the plains on our horses, I wondered how we would detain the soldiers without using any weapons, but this time excitement and curiosity were behind my wondering rather than skepticism. Surely the one who could bring the walls down could deliver the enemy to us.

How the Almighty provided the victory was unlike anything I could have imagined.

Rows and rows of people, their hands bound and heads lowered, walked over the rubble, their uniforms brown with dust. The city guard. Leading them was a petite woman with hair tied into a bun, her head held high. Could it be?

"Maurine!" I yelled, spurring my mare toward her. Unable to contain my joy, I called her name, laughing and waving, standing up in the stirrups.

"Thea?" Maurine's eyes were wide as she finally recognized me. "Thank the Almighty, you are safe!"

Sliding off Aster, I ran to her, crushing her in a hug. She squeezed me right back. Questions buzzed in my mind, but before I could ask a single one, Prince Solas arrived, looking like a conquering king on his horse.

Maurine bowed deeply before him. "Your highness, it is an honor. The plan went exactly as you said, as I knew it would."

The Prince spoke, his voice carrying a regal tone. "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

"Here are the members of the council," she continued, stepping to the side and motioning to several people. My jaw dropped. The five members of the council, their clothes dirty and ragged, stepped forward. "All came willingly, except for that one." Maurine motioned to a tall man with a long gray beard, the only member whose hands were bound. Simon, the leader of the council and the one who warped my original idea of the mentorship program. My gut roiled, anger rising up. It was because of him people like Maurine had suffered. That I had suffered.

"Thank you, Maurine." Solas motioned to one of his platoon members. "Would you please escort them back to our camp?"

I watched as they were led away, my jaw clenched. "What will happen to them?"

"They will be given a fair trial, just as you were given," Solas replied, glancing at me. "Be wary to not let your anger consume you. Remember what you, in your treachery, were given."

I bowed my head. "Of course." As the councilmen were led away, I saw Nigel Lampra, the one who had helped me escape Tunack when I was a slave. I pointed him out. "Surely that man doesn't need to be cuffed. He helped me when I was in danger."

Solas followed my finger. "All will come to light when we try them. For now, I need you to trust me." Trust again. I was getting tired of hearing that word. I knew Prince Solas always chose the right course, but my heart didn't always agree with his timing.

"Your highness, if I may inquire about the citizens?" Maurine interjected, looking between me and Solas. Right. She wouldn't know of my recent life changes, though if Maurine was still as sharp as she was when I met her, she already knew half of the story.

"I instructed my army to tell everyone to meet in front of the town hall in three hours." He turned to me. "Perhaps you and Maurine would like to assist?"

How did he know I wanted to catch up with Maurine? Smiling, I handed the reins of Aster to him, putting my hand on his knee. "Thank you."

Solas squeezed my hand in affirmation. "Remember my warning. I will see you at the meeting."

Together, Maurine and I walked past the rubble from the walls and into the city. This was the third time I had walked down the main road of Tunack, each time being very distinct. There was no parade to escort us or wares we were protecting. Now, I was walking as a conqueror, a victor, someone who would help remake this city for the better.