Ch. 56

The small form of the messenger atop his gray horse came closer, and with it, news about Tunack's willingness to surrender. Due to the quick reply, I guessed Tunack refused our terms. No surprise there. Honestly, if I was surrounded by tall, thick walls and threatened by a mere company, I wouldn't surrender either. Of course, that would be before I joined the Prince and realized his immense power. Glancing over at my husband atop his horse, I sucked in a breath. In his full battle armor, the crown on top of his head gleaming, he looked unstoppable, like a bright and penetrating star. Personally, a part of me hoped Tunack would refuse to surrender just so I could see the Prince in action.

The sun had just cleared the horizon, the sky still a pinkish-gray, when the messenger reached us.

"Refused to surrender, my lord," he said, holding out the scroll we had sent with him. "The captain of the guard wanted me to give you this message: 'You have twenty-four hours to leave before we open our gates and destroy you with our army.' They then felt the need to taunt and jeer you. According to them, we are a bunch of 'spineless fools' and 'weaker than the rabbits of the plain who hide in their holes.'"

"They were aware this is the Prince's army and not a tribe of uncouth bandits?" I replied, ire tracing my voice. Of course, with our giant white banners trimmed with gold and showing the golden dove, it would be impossible not to know who we were.

"Peace, Thea, they will get their due," Solas replied, putting a hand on my arm. He turned back to the messenger. "Did our signal go through?"

"Yes. The ones on the inside are ready and waiting."

"Excellent. Please round up the platoon leaders and have them meet in my tent."

Excitement coursed through me as we walked our mounts back to camp. The ones on the inside had to be Shay and the other scouts, who had pretended to be peddlars and merchants. After one of the scouts returned last night, his story spread among the different campfires. This would be a splendid victory and an excellent chance to avenge all of the people forced into servitude. I pictured the council members. Once we took them captive -

"Thea."

I blinked, looking up at the Prince.

"Remember, you promised to follow my directions. I will need your obedience today."

"Of course," I replied as we dismounted and entered his tent. "Tell me where to go and what to do, and I will."

"What if I told you to stay and do nothing?" Solas replied. My eyebrows knitted in confusion, but before I could respond, the platoon leaders entered, sitting in a circle.

"Everyone is here, excellent. Let us begin in prayer," Solas said. Several minutes passed by asking for guidance and strength, though to be honest, I was too busy mulling over Solas's last words to me to pay much attention, and only knew to look up when a silence settled over the group.

"If you would please take one and pass this around," Solas said, passing a stack of parchment to the platoon leader on his right. I watched the facial expressions of each person, trying to figure out what kind of plan the Prince had, but all I saw were a few raised eyebrows and nods before I received my copy. On it were the names of each day of the week along with a title of a song next to the day for a total of seven songs. That was it. I turned the parchment over, expecting more instructions, but there was nothing. A code, perhaps?

"We will split the company up with each platoon taking a certain section of the wall," Solas directed, rolling out a large map of the city. Around the wall were the names of each platoon, twelve in total. The Prince's platoon was stationed at the camp. Were we not joining the fight?