Ch. 9

Dawn streamed in through the small window. Groaning, I sat up, stretching and rubbing sleep out of my eyes as the activities from yesterday hit me. Suddenly, I jumped up, remembering that today was the day I would begin training.

I hurriedly put on pants, a loose tunic, and fighting leathers, items that had been sitting in my room when I returned from the contest. I had expected to receive cheap materials that were coarsely made and ill-fitting, but instead everything I received was the opposite. Well-hammered leather, fine shirts and pants, fur-lined boots and gloves. Some items would need to be slightly adjusted, but nothing was too baggy or uncomfortable.

I stepped out into the cold mountain air and jogged to the training field to warm up. Today, I would meet my trainer. Hopefully, he would be better than the arms-master.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I did not comprehend who the man standing on the field was until his cool voice cut through the air.

"You're late." The voice brought me to a halt, and I lifted my head to see two dark brown eyes staring into mine. Nourse.

"What?" I said, surprise running through me. He couldn't be my trainer! There was no way this was going to work.

"I said that you are late. And apparently you need to listen better, too."

"There must be a mistake," I said, thinking back to his critical eyes watching me yesterday. "Are you supposed to be my trainer?"

"Yes," said Nourse, his voice even. "You don't have to like it."

"But I beat you!" I said, remembering how I had cut him open. Nourse frowned, his face tightening. Besides, it's obvious you don't care too much for me echoed in my head, though I decided not to voice that thought. Nourse seemed to know what I was thinking anyway.

"Whether you like me or not does not determine your strength. You might have been successful in your tiny village, but we aren't in that village anymore. Now, show me a basic fighting stance." I crossed my arms, refusing to listen. Nourse frowned.

"Thea, being stubborn will not help you."

"Surely I get a say in who my teacher is," I replied. "Marduk insinuated that I would be trained by the best."

"Is this really about that little skirmish back in your town?" Nourse sighed, shaking his head. "Fine, then it shouldn't be hard to beat me again," he said, tossing me a wooden sword and drawing another one for himself. Fine, if this is what needed to happen, then I would make it happen.

We faced off and bowed, signaling the start of the duel.

Nourse rushed me, preparing to hit my left flank. I dodged, jumping to my right and swinging toward his exposed left side. I had barely moved when Nourse's sword somehow changed course and met mine. The shock of his sword hitting mine sent jolts up my arm, and my sword was wrested from my hand.

"Still think I'm a pushover?" said Nourse, picking up my sword and handing it to me.

"Lucky hit," I replied, and then I attacked. Nourse easily blocked, which was what I had been planning. I jumped to the side for another swing, but again Nourse met me. The battle was over in a few seconds, and I was once again weaponless.

"You might have hit me in that skirmish when I was distracted, but one-on-one is different," said Nourse. "Are you ready to listen to me now?"

In reply, I picked up my sword and charged him. Once again, he disarmed me in a few seconds. Blowing air out my nose, I clenched my fists. Play time was over.

Picking up the sword, I circled him, looking for an opening. I was letting my emotions get the best of me, and that would not help me win.

"At least you're learning," observed Nourse before rushing me. I waited patiently for the right time to strike. Most opponents, especially men, tended to think I was weak, and they would rush in with a heavy swing, confident they would overpower me. I may not be as strong as most men, but I am swifter and know how to use their strength against them.