Chapter 47

Lyla

The two hour drive passes slowly, the only sound filling the vehicle is the radio playing. Shawn has it tuned to a country station and I know it's on my behalf. He reaches over at some point during the drive and lightly rubs his hand over my thigh. When I glance over at him, he offers me a small smile before removing his hand and focusing back on the road. I want to tell him to put his hand back, to reach out and just take his hand in mine, but I don't for an unknown reason. We finally pull up to his house and Shawn rushes around to open my door. He tells me he will bring our bags in and I can head up to the door. I walk up to the porch and wait for him.

Once inside, I head to the bedroom, suddenly feeling tired again and wanting to take a nap. I silently climb under the covers of his bed and inhale, relaxing at the comforting scent of him on them. My eyes are closed but I can hear him moving around the room, opening and closing some drawers. I drift off to sleep before I have a chance to ask Shawn to join me on the bed.

I wake up in Shawn's bed and he is nowhere to be found. I get up and walk around the upstairs calling out his name a few times, but don't receive any response. I head down to the main floor and again don't find him as I search the living room and kitchen. With only the basement left, I head down the stairs and look around. The concrete floor is cold on my bare feet as I walk around the gym equipment and search the dark room, but don't find him. I turn to head back upstairs and feel someone grabbing me around the waist and my back is slammed against the hard concrete wall.

The wind is knocked out of me and my vision blurs. I take a moment to regain my breath and my vision returns to normal. I look up and see Connor above me, pinning me against the wall. I scream out Shawn's name repeatedly. Connor laughs as he leans his body into me, crushing down my rib cage and making it hard for me to breathe.

"Scream all you want, but I already took care of your boyfriend," Connor whispers against my ear as I feel his hot breath on my neck. "No one is coming to save you this time."

Connors hands are all over my body, grabbing me and squeezing, pinching my skin. The pain makes me cry out. His slobbery tongue trails up my neck and he forces his lips onto mine, biting my lower lip and I scream out in pain as I start to taste blood. I try to push him off me, to hit him wherever I can make contact, but nothing phases him. I feel his hand moving to the waistband of my pants and he tugs at the buttons and zipper, ripping them open as I feel his cold hand slide roughly into my pants, touching me and I scream out Shawn's name again.

Suddenly, Connor disappears and I no longer feel his hands on me. I feel someone holding my shoulders and shaking me softly as I open my eyes and I'm back in Shawn's bed. His face is above me staring down, worry clear in his eyes. I sit up and cling my arms around his neck, pulling myself onto his lap in his spot sitting beside me. He holds me and rubs up and down my back, soothing me as I cry in his arms.

I am relieved it was just a dream, but it felt so real and I remind myself that something did happen to me just two nights ago. I focus on my breathing, remembering the techniques I learned in therapy to try and relax myself. A few minutes later, I've managed to stop crying and my heart is no longer pounding in my chest. I lean back from Shawn and before I have the chance to wipe my tears, his thumbs are softly wiping them for me. His eyes scan my face, he looks helplessly at me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks me softly as his eyes lock with mine, waiting for me to answer. I know he's referring to the nightmare I just had and I nod but don't speak for a minute or two, trying to find the words to explain the dream.