Chapter XVI - Small Actions Shape the Future

Start from the beginning

"It was just banter."

"Oh, and I told you about you being my advisor, didn't I?" Arthur smirked.

"Well, you do realise that you have no one to make you breakfast and other things that you're not able to do for yourself? Apart from the fact that I am your advisor, I can also carry out my duties so far, and believe me, no other servant would be as bad at this as I am," Merlin said in one breath.

"I like that," the king smiled and jumped out of his bed while his friend was smiling proudly. "But I was serious about the day off, you should sleep," he added.

"Don't worry, I'll be fine. Better tell me how the feast was," the warlock changed the subject.

"I'm sober," Arthur looked at him; "if that's what you wanted to know, but we all have to be because we have training today. We saw Galahad in action how good he is and the knights are going to face him."

"You seem very impressed by Galahad."

"He joined the greatest army in the Five Kingdoms and he is now one of my best knights, I'm pleased to have him here," he said and finished dressing himself. "We're gonna hold a jousting tournament in a week, will you help with preparations?"

"Yeah, of course," Merlin agreed. "What's the occasion?"

"Anniversary of the establishment of the Round Table in Camelot." Arthur replied.

"Oh, that's great," the warlock smiled. "Actually, I have something else to do, so see you later on the training ground," he said and almost ran out from the chamber leaving Arthur slightly confused by his strange behaviour.

Merlin burst into Gaius' chambers and went straight to his room. The physician shuddered and followed him with his eyes.

"Merlin!" Gaius stood at the threshold and saw his apprentice rummaging through clothes. "What are you doing?"

The warlock picked some clean shirts and trousers and packed it into his bag, then he looked at the old man and led him to the table asking him to sit down. He himself took the seat as well.

"Aithusa is safe," said Merlin grinning.

"That's fantastic!" Gaius smiled. "Where is she?"

"I took her to the Darkling Woods with a little help from the great dragon and… Vortimer, of course. He's here, in Camelot."

The physician looked surprised. "How come?"

"He wants to live here."

"Merlin," Gaius said in a disapproving tone. "He's with the Saxons, he could be dangerous."

The warlock sighed and shook his head. "He's not an enemy anymore. Why can't you just trust me?"

"It's not like I don't trust you, Merlin, I don't trust him," the old man said calmly.

"Well, but I do, Gaius. I see he's a good man," said Merlin and then suddenly a shadow of doubt came over him. "Even if it is as you say, he would not attempt to kill Arthur, not in Camelot."

"Nevertheless, he may be a spy, providing information to Vortigern, and worse, to Mordred."

"So you're saying that I shouldn't have let him help me and allow him to stay?"

"No, I only meant that you better have an eye on him."

***

Merlin returned to Gwen's old home which henceforth belonged to Vortimer. Gaius' words still echoed in his head and he wasn't sure anymore whether the help from the man was sincere or was just an excuse to get to Camelot. And the truth is that Vortimer only guided Merlin where the white dragon was, nothing more. The warlock shook his head to dismiss those thoughts and focus on what he had to do.  Nevertheless, he decided to stick to his new friend as close as possible.
He handed Vortimer all the clothes he had brought with him and waited for the blond to get changed.