Chapter XV - A Flight to the Fair Land

"So," Arthur started quietly as he and Merlin were sitting by the fire in the forest. The rest of the knights fell fast asleep, exhausted after a whole day of riding. They were already within Camelot's borders so they felt safer than in Essetir, but still they had to be aware of bandits. Although they had not much to go to the castle, they decided to rest, taking into account the fact that they were in no hurry; "what is it that you wanted to tell me?"

Merlin blinked a few times as if he had just been woken up from a trance. "What?" he asked even though he heard Arthur clearly.

"You're doing it again," the king stated. That time the warlock looked at him questioningly. "You have your head in the clouds."

"Ah…," Merlin sighed. "I was thinking about what you just wanted me to tell you," he lied. He didn't want to bother Arthur with new problems that he couldn't really explain to him yet; and he didn't want to give his friend another reason to question his trust in him because he was not telling him everything.

"All right, I'm all ears."

"I only hope you won't hate me because of that."

"It's the past. What's done is done," Arthur smiled slightly, reassuring him. Merlin nodded.

"Do you remember when we returned from the fortress of Idirsholas to Camelot?" said the warlock after a moment. "Everyone was asleep, nothing could wake them up."

"Yeah," Arthur nodded. "But they woke up when Morgause undid the enchantment."

"Nevertheless she wasn't the source of it. Morgana was," Merlin looked at the king.

"How was that possible?" Arthur frowned.

"Morgause put some kind of spell on her so she could easily strike Camelot while it was defenseless because of Morgana whose presence made everyone ill," he took a breath. "I forced Morgause to stop the spell by…," he hesitated and Arthur stared at him intently; "by poisoning Morgana."

"You poisoned Morgana?" the king raised his voice slightly.

"Shh," Merlin put a finger to his lips. "You're going to wake them."

They glanced at the knights who seemed to sleep soundly, only Gwaine mumbled something in his dream and turned to the other side, facing Arthur and Merlin.

"She was your friend," Arthur said almost without any emotion. Merlin was surprised by that sudden coldness in his friend's voice.

"I know," said Merlin, not looking at him. "I struggled. I wasn't sure whether I was doing the right thing or not. Then, I thought it was the only way, but now…," he shook his head and eyed Arthur; "now I know that I could save both you, Camelot and Morgana, but I chose the easiest way."

"It was a hard decision for you to make," Arthur admitted. "I can't even imagine."

"I regret it more than anything, Arthur," the warlock looked at him with sadness and guilt in his eyes. "Morgana was scared and unaware of what was happening with her, and instead of helping her, I betrayed her," he sighed. "Perhaps then, she wouldn't have turned against Camelot."

"We don't know it for sure," said the king staring at the fire. Merlin looked at him concerned.

"The prophecy spoke of alliance between Mordred and Morgana," the warlock broke the silence. "I couldn't get my mind off it, and made the decision I made."

"I assume it wasn't the first time you tried to prevent it."

Merlin nodded. "Once I saw in the crystals that Morgana killed Uther, so when she went to do it I tried to stop her, but I didn't foresee that it was going to end so badly. Then I healed her because I couldn't bear to watch you suffer."