Chapter X - An Unexpected Message

Arthur was hurrying up to Gaius' chambers. He had a serious look on his face and his hair was sticking out in every direction. It was hard to tell if he had just woken up or that he just couldn't deal with himself, but regarding that it was almost midday, the latter was more probable. So still, in his pyjamas, or in fact, half pyjamas, because he didn't wear a shirt, he was bursting through the castle with a dressing gown overlapped on him. It was an unusual sight of the young king walking down the corridors dressed like this. Maids and servants who met Arthur on their way only looked at him puzzlingly, but he seemed to not even pay attention.

He stopped at the door of the physician's chambers and was about to knock, but then it opened and Arthur, instead of on the door, knocked on Gaius' head. The physician closed his eyes at the sudden and unexpected movement and the king, in a fit of awkwardness, withdrew his hand.

"I'm so sorry Gaius," said Arthur after a beat, his expression softened. "I didn't notice anyone leaving."

"No harm done," Gaius nodded his head and added; "yet."

Arthur frowned. "Well… what I wanted to ask…?" he mumbled more to himself than to the physician and then said aloud when he reminded himself. "Ah, yes, where is this… where is Merlin?"

"Last time I saw him he was in his room sleeping, you may come if you want," Gaius passed him, but then stopped for a second. "Why are you looking for him in the first place? He said he had a day off."

"A day off?" Arthur frowned.

"I see there must've been some misunderstanding, then," he said, seeing an expression on the king's face. "Well, you can wake him, he already has enough sleep for today."

"Oh, yes, he definitely has enough," said Arthur and disappeared behind the door leaving Gaius with a confused look.

Arthur walked through the whole chamber and reached the door to Merlin's room. He didn't even bother to knock this time, the king just pushed the door and it burst open. His eyes immediately fell on the young warlock who was wrapped in sheets and slept soundly. Arthur smirked at the idea that had just come to his mind. He went to the window and with a sweeping movement drew back the curtain. The midday sun fell on Merlin's face who frowned and squeezed his eyes shut at the sudden flood of light. The king glanced at him. Obviously, Merlin was already awake.

"Rise and shine!" said Arthur turning towards his friend.

Merlin's one eye opened and he looked at the figure standing before him. When he realised it was Arthur he groaned and closed his eye again.

"Oh, come on now!" he took a step closer to pull the covers off Merlin, but was stopped by the warlock's stretched hand.

"Oh, could you please just stand where you stood?" asked Merlin with a sluggish, slightly hoarse voice.

"Why?" Arthur frowned, automatically taking a step back.

"That's perfect," he smiled, burying his face in a pillow but still glancing at Arthur with one eye. The king raised his eyebrows.

"It's simple, Arthur," said Merlin. "That way the sun doesn't blind me."

"Merlin!" Arthur exclaimed. "I will not tolerate this."

"Wait," Merlin raised himself clearly awake. "You're not supposed to be at the council meeting?"

"It has been postponed."

"And why is that?" Merlin looked away thoughtfully. "Because you couldn't get yourself up earlier?" he narrowed his eyes and looked at him.

Arthur lowered himself so that his eyes were level with Merlin's. "And whose fault is it?" he asked with a playful smile.