Chapter II - The Journey to Avalon Part II

Few feet from him was standing Morgana and right before her, on the ground, was lying Gwaine who was bound and tortured by her. He made eye contact with Merlin, shock and fear crossed his face.

"No," whispered Gwaine.

Morgana saw him looking over her shoulder and she turned around. Evil smirk crept on her face when she realised it was Merlin.

"Emrys," she made a step forward to him; "where's my beloved brother, Arthur?" she asked sarcastically.

"Merlin, run!" screamed Percival, who all of a sudden jumped out of the trees with intention of attacking Morgana, but Merlin was rooted to the ground. Percival stabbed Morgana's side with his sword and she fell on the ground in pain. "Now, go! Save Arthur," he said, breathing heavily.

Merlin finally woke up and hurried back to the king. "Arthur, we need to leave," he said, shaking his shoulders. "Now!"

"Merlin… what's going…"

"Hello," Morgana came out of nowhere. Arthur turned his head at the sound of her voice. "If you thought you were gonna elude me, you were wrong," she said to Merlin. He couldn't even react as she in a flash, with a nod of her head, casted him forward into the bushes.

"What a joy it is to see you, Arthur," Morgana turned to him. He was trying to draw his sword but he realised he didn't have it.

"Oh, you are not so tall and mighty now," she lowered herself to him. "Maybe you've won the battle, but you've lost the war. You're going to die by Mordred's hand," she smirked evilly.

"But don't worry, dear brother, I won't let you die alone," her expression softened for a moment, but then again she spoke with her dark voice. "I will stay and watch over you until the wolves tear you apart and bathe in your blood."

"Oh no, Morgana," she shuddered when Merlin spoke up. He was standing behind her with excalibur in one hand. "The time for all this bloodshed is over," she stood up facing him. "I blame myself for what you've become. But this has to end."

"I'm a high priestess, no mortal blade can kill me," as she said that, Merlin thrusted the sword in her stomach. She gasped and looked up at him with shock and surprise.

"This is no mortal blade," he was holding Morgana and looking her into the eyes. "Like yours, it was forged in a dragon's breath," he stabbed her once again and laid her on the ground.

"Goodbye, Morgana," said Merlin as she let out her last breath.

"Brought peace at last," the both of them looked up at this voice. Percival walked off from the bushes. Merlin nodded to him.

"Where's Gwaine?"

"He'll be fine. We need to take Arthur."

"All right, come on," Merlin walked over to the king and he and Percival helped him to his feet.

"How did Morgana know?" Merlin asked Percival as they were leading his friend to the lake.

"That girl, Eira, she was a traitor. She'd sent a message to Morgana where you're heading. We found out too late. So me and Gwaine tried to stop her."

They almost reached the end of the forest and a lake appeared to their eyes. In the middle of the lake was the island of Avalon.

"Thank you," said Merlin looking at Percival. "I'll handle it further."

"Merlin, no…"

"Go to Gwaine," he cut him off. "He needs you too and he's our friend. Don't let him die. Arthur's in good hands."

Percival nodded in agreement. "Take care, we will come back for you," he said and turned his way back.

Merlin continued with Arthur to the lakeshore. But the king was barely able to stand. And eventually both of them fell to the ground, panting.

"We need to go," Merlin was trying to pick Arthur up. "We're close, it's not far away."

"We won't make it through the lake," Arthur said quietly.

"No, we're gonna make it. You are gonna make it. Come on, we have to…"

"Just... just hold me, please," said Arthur, cutting him off. He grasped Merlin's hand lying on his chest. Merlin looked into his eyes, holding him.

"Destiny or not... you're my friend, Arthur, and I won't let you die. We're almost there," Merlin looked ahead at Avalon then he turned his eyes back to Arthur.

"But it's too late…," he whispered. "And I want to say some… say something…"

"No, you're not gonna say goodbye," said Merlin but Arthur shook his head.

"Merlin, everything you've done I know now… for me, for Camelot… and I want to say something I've never said to you before… thank you," Arthur was holding onto Merlin and then his grip started getting weaker and his eyes started to shut.

"Arthur… no…," Merlin took his face in his hands. "Arthur!" he cried out, shaking him slightly.

Arthur opened his eyes a little, but it was stronger than him. The death slowly was taking him.

"No!" Merlin let out a scream full of pain and despair. He felt like the whole world was collapsing upon him.

He lifted Arthur with the last of his strength, pulling him towards the shore. He heard the sound of cutting air and The Great Dragon landed in front of him. Kilgharrah looked at him with concern.

"I didn't summon you," said Merlin with a trembling voice. He could barely see the dragon because tears blurred his vision.

"No," Kilgharrah shook his head; "but I heard your desperate scream. What has happened, young warlock?"

"Don't you see!?" Merlin shouted at the dragon. But he quickly contained himself and took a deep, shaky breath. "Arthur is… he's dead…"

Kilgharrah stretched his head towards the king. "I don't think he is," he replied. "Can't you feel his heart beating? He is still breathing, shallow though, but he's breathing."

Merlin put his cheek to Arthur's. He could feel that his friend was still alive.

"Will he make it…? Will he make it to Avalon?" Merlin asked.

"I am sure he will. You are two sides of the same coin, young warlock. And fair and just kingdom is yet to come. That boat will take you there," he pointed at it with his head.

Merlin got into the boat, laying Arthur so that his head was on Merlin's lap.

"Before you leave," Kilgharrah spoke up; "you have to be careful. The Sídhe may help you, but don't get yourself tricked and remember that the Sídhe once craved the throne of Camelot."

Merlin glanced at him to let him know that he would heed his words. He looked at Arthur and then at Avalon in the distance.

"Astyre," Merlin made the boat move.

He put his hand on Arthur's forehead. "Stay with me, Arthur. Just hold on a little longer, please."