Chapter 39

She wandered into the kitchen while Derek went to put Maddie's things away. She opened the fridge, looking around for what she thought Derek might be planning to make for dinner. It didn't take her long to realise he hadn't done the grocery shop, and really didn't have anything in to cook.

She could hear him walking up behind her, a smile gracing her lips as his arms moved around her and she closed the fridge. She leant back against him, tilting her head against his shoulder.

"You know you have no food in, right? What did you plan to make for dinner?" She asked him.

"Oh, crap." He chuckled slightly his hand running through his hair. "I knew I'd forgotten there was something else I needed to do."

"Do we need to go grocery shopping?" She raised an eyebrow, turning in his arms to face him and resting her hands on his shoulders.

"We could, but she's going to be hungry, and I don't want to drag her around a shop and then wait for me to make dinner." He shook his head. "I can take her grocery shopping tomorrow; she doesn't mind helping me with that."

"What are we going to do tonight, then?" She asked.

"How do you feel about pizza?" He asked, lowering his lips to hers with a soft kiss, his hands settling on her waist.

"I love pizza," she grinned against his lips, "What do we do while Maddie naps, though?"

"I mean," he smirked slightly.

He dropped a hand to gently squeeze her ass with a devilish look in his eye. She gasped in surprise, playfully hitting his shoulder.

"That is not happening." She narrowed her eyes at him, pointing at him with a playful sternness. "And not because I don't want to, because it is not happening while your daughter is asleep in the next room."

"No fun." He pouted in jest, kissing her again. "You're right though, she will probably wake up soon. Let's grab a drink and you can decide what pizza you want."

"Coffee would be amazing right now, where are the mugs?" She pulled away from him, heading towards the cupboards and opening a few to look in,

"Sit down." He rolled his eyes, his hand brushing over her lower back as he passed her, kissing her cheek before moving onto the cupboard that must hold the mugs. "I'll sort it."

"Fine, fine." She moved to sit on a stool at the island in the centre of the room. "Do you have a menu?"

"Here." He pulled out a leaflet and passed it over the counter. "This is our favourite place to order from."

"You have a favourite place already?" She chuckled, reading through it.

"We have pizza and movie nights most Fridays when we can." He shrugged, starting up the coffee machine. "Got to know where the best place to get pizza is."

"Tomorrow is Friday." She frowned, looking up at him as he turned to face her, leaning against the counter with his arms crossed across his chest. "We can rearrange our date so you can have pizza and movie night."

"No." He shook his head, walking around the island counter to her, his hand dropping to her lower back as he kissed the top of her head. "She's going to have my mom's lasagne, which is her favourite, and then I'm taking her out for birthday dinner on Saturday. Anyway, we're having pizza night now. Don't worry about it."

"Okay." She sighed, leaning into him as he rubbed her back. "I just don't want to intrude on your time with Maddie."

"You're not." His head lowered, his lips touching against hers for a short second. "I promise you, that won't ever be an issue, I won't let it become an issue."