Arc 5: A Concubine's Duty (146)

She never wanted to be his disciple. She only agreed because she was interested to him. For so many lifetimes, she was unable to escape Gu Zixing and this is her chance to break the three lifetime cycle. Hong Cha established an affair with her master in success. But her fear she will lose this unique love and meet Gu Zixing once more, she became evil. She did her best to keep her master only to her, even having him neglect the sect madame. Yet, he didn't stay.

"Disciple Hong Cha." the sect madame found her that day. She was training core disciples and in front of them, the sect madame asked her clearly, "You... You're his mistress, right?"

Hong Cha took a pause and glanced at the disciples. She closed her eyes with a tranquil smile before facing the sect madame. "I am. Do you intend to stop us?"

The disciples held their breath and the sect madame in a sudden, slapped Hong Cha. She stood there without minding the pain.

"A mere mistress, daring to be this brave?!"

"Mere? Will Master risk this relationship with me if I am a mere mistress? I am more than that, Madame." Hong Cha scoffed and crossed her arms. "Everyone in the sect knows I have a special fate with a soul of different world, who will ruin my life. Thus, I can only avoid him by choosing Master, because I love him and I know he is not that bastard!"

"But this is wrong! You are his disciple, you are not even his wife!"

"Then a concubine will do, right?" she provocatively said. Hong Cha smiled in a cunning manner and passed by the sect madame. "Madame, I finally found the right man to be with. I cant let him leave me. Otherwise, I will suffer another cycle of pain, with Gu Zixing."

Just as she can almost take another step further, the sect madame spoke.

"Hong Cha, he was Gu Zixing. You lost, again, and I won." she faced Hong Cha who had stopped.

"Don't fool around." Hong Cha glared. How is it possible?

"I know because I know him. Go on, ask him. Ask him who is Red Strauss."

"Ah!" Hong Cha pricked her fingertip, causing a drop of blood to mess her embroidery. She pressed it on her lips and looked outside the room. Should she or should she not hate him?

The day of the marriage arrived. Hong Cha didn't enter through the main gate where the main wife did and gave Bai Fuxi a new embroidery. She offered him tea which he accepted.

"Whom will you favor more?" she asked in a lowered tone. Bai Fuxi was likely taking his time, leisurely tasting the tea she made as if today was just normal.

"Your father is really smart." Bai Fuxi evaded her question. He placed the cup down and stood beside her. Slowly, he tugged a bit of her hair before lifting her gaze on him with his hand underneath her chin. "If I were to favor the concubine, that'll shame the first wife. And with rumors about you, being a vixen, is enough to bring shame to my reputation. It will cause people to see me as someone unfair. And Yu Huang will become my rival for the imperial power."

"I understand if you were to favor my sister." Hong Cha now see what strategic game General Yu had planned. With her bad influence, people will definitely ask for a change. General Yu is not good since he had displayed errors in his previous campaigns. Yu Huang will be the second choice to become a regent. With Princess Feng as his wife, majority of the civilians will choose Yu Huang to replace Bai Fuxi because of his clean reputation and success.

"Xiao Cha, can we just forget the outside world for tonight?" Bai Fuxi said and cupped her cheek with a hand. Hong Cha heaved a sigh.

"A woman's jealous heart is unpredictable." she warned to let him know Yu Anwei can be fatal to him.

Bai Fuxi lightly smiled. He knew how dangerous his wife is. She have Princess Feng as her backer, the royal family can never be underestimated too. But right now, he wanted a sincere night with her.

Moonlight rinsed through the dark room, bringing a dim but obvious scenario. Clothes slowly taken off, curtains briskly waving with the cold night but two hearts shared warmth.

Hong Cha cant understand. She was not her usual self tonight. Instead, she keeps reciprocating as her heart beats in a crazy pace. A single touch of his brought her sensitivity yet she could yearn for more. What had she become?

"Hmm... Ah, A-Airen..." she accidentally called out. Bai Fuxi paused biting her shoulder and looked up to her. Did she call him 'love' [1]?

"I... I wouldn't dare." she meekly shook her head though her eyes were clouded. "Z-Zhangfu [2]?"

"Airen, whenever no one is around us." Bai Fuxi pinched her chin and kissed her gently than before. He is sure, the content, the bliss, this is not something he had felt once but only with her. Bai Fuxi has been ambitious since young and how else can he survive being a politician? Yet, he is unsatisfied, even with his current position. He wanted more but cant seek what it was.

While bubbles and flowers decorated the courtyard, in the zhengfang, it was full gloomy. Yu Anwei was crying in silence though her servants had retreated. She regrets letting her guard down and falling for him again. And her past life repeated because she hadn't done anything to them.

"Bai Fuxi!" she clenched her fists and dried her tears. He never knows how to love, he never knows how to sympathize, he never knows how fatal a broken heart can be. A fragile heart when broken can leave shards to injure someone.

Well, if they want it like this, she can try another tug of war. But this time, her 'sister' will be caught having an affair.

[1] Airen- literally means loved person. It is an intimate way to call a husband or wife

[2] Zhangfu is a formal way to address a husband