26 ⊷ Trigger

na na na na na na I know

26

Ji-yoon led them into the building. It was a rather big, empty office building. No lights inside except for the dim shimmer of the moon that pressed through the dirty, partly broken windows. A couple of sheets of paper, broken chairs, other random objects that weren't worth saving were left behind. 

Bleak, boring. There was nothing much here yet the atmosphere was as unsettling as it could get. 

Looking past Jaemin, who followed the girl closely, Haechan looked straight at Ji-yoon. 

He noticed how her gun was secure in a tight grip and how she moved swiftly, yet with caution. She wasn't afraid at all and, although wearing just an oversized suit jacket and elegant dress, didn't seem out of place despite obviously not fitting in.  

"Nah, we are giving them a break."

The voice suddenly echoed through the empty rooms, causing the three to stop right away. There were two doorways close to each other, making it hard to tell where the noise came from. 

A laugh. "Right, the poor kids can't handle it."

Ji-yoon noticed Jaemin move behind her and heard Haechan whisper something in return which she didn't understand - she didn't understand him because of how loudly her heart was beating inside her chest, blood boiling. 

"You know him. He likes to keep things tidy, so no witnesses. Don't know why you chickened out, you're the reason why they are here. You brought trouble with you."

He inhaled deeply, took a couple of steps through the room.

"Yeah, I know. You came for that guy... Byung-hun? To convince him or something?" he wondered, then waited a second before he laughed again. "Were you friends? I heard you cried when you shot him."

Amused. 

He sounded so amused at the thought of her friend's pain. He sounded so entertained talking about all of this as if he had any right to enjoy himself. 

Listening to him was pushing her patience. Although, to be fair, hearing him spat this so rashly also helped her. It washed away her nervosity, leaving her with nothing but anger.   

She hummed to herself, let her head drop so that she was looking at the ground. A dirty ground, with papers and- 

A rock. 

She picked it up, threw it up into the air before catching it again. She considered for a moment whether or not doing what she was thinking about was a good idea. 

She decided that, no, it probably wasn't. But she did it anyway. 

"Let's see which room he is in," she whispered to herself before launching the rock at the wall opposite her with as much force as she could muster. 

Flinching at the sudden noise, Jaemin took a wobbly step back where he collided with Haechan who quickly stabilized the boy, meanwhile not taking his eyes off Ji-yoon.

She looked relaxed. Shoulders and arms hanging down, head tilted slightly to the side as if it was too bothersome to properly hold it up. 

It went quiet after that. The man stopped talking and started moving towards the door. 

He walked slowly. Soft-footed but not soundless. His slow pace made her impatient. 

"Hurry up and come out here," she said drily. She didn't raise her voice and it didn't carry any emotion either. Monotone like she didn't want to play along.