7 ⊷ Breakfast

7

Chenle pushed the door to the office open. 

"Guys, I met Ji-yoon on the way." 

The mention of the name made the rest of the boys look at the two newly arrived ones. Ji-yoon carried a soft smile, held two bags in her hands. 

"Morning," she greeted them. Jaemin and Jisung seemed happy to see her, whereas Renjun and Haechan were just interested enough in her appearance to offer her a short glimpse. "I bought you breakfast." 

She didn't allow anyone to react to that before she started unpacking the two bags, distributing drinks and food. 

Jisung smiled, took the little cookie that was placed safely in a box next to the rest of his breakfast. He glimpsed at the boy to his right. 

"I know you don't like her but I think she's pretty great," Jisung mumbled as he took a bite which only left Haechan more irritated. 

Ignoring the small bag she had put on his desk, Haechan leaned forward and glared at Ji-yoon intently which she returned by smiling at him.

He was about to say something when Ji-yoon cut him off.

"Before you say anything you should take a look at your food," she said, the way in which she said that making him suspicious. "I want to know if you like what I got you."

Ji-yoon motioned towards the little paper bag in front of the boy. Urging him to take a look, Haechan eventually gave in.

After she had turned around and walked over to the sofa where Chenle had already started eating, Haechan opened it and looked inside.

Huh?

"What's that?" Haechan asked as he pulled an envelope out of the bag. She didn't look at him and focused on her food instead. 

"A written statement of my whereabouts during the murder," she said, then moved her index finger through the air, dragging it down to the bottom of the imaginary paper in front of her. "It's signed." 

Surprised but not necessarily displeased, Haechan looked up at her, a brow raised in question. However, he didn't even need to ask her for her to know what his question was. 

"I am not asking you to trust me but I want to prevent you from wasting more time by making me a suspect," she said, sounding polite and calm despite her accusatory words. The police had wasted enough time not investigating properly. 

She had wasted enough time as well.

"I hope it's helpful," she then added. 

Haechan looked down at the letter and nodded. "It will be. For us." 

It was the way in which he put emphasis on these last two words that made Ji-yoon already regret trying to be considerate.

Ji-yoon looked at the ground in front of her. She hated how complicated he made this for her. She couldn't really claim not to understand him though. 

"What do you mean?" she asked exhaustedly. 

"There was something we discussed yesterday," he began, smug smirk on his lips. "Apparently private investigators aren't allowed to investigate homicide cases." 

He wasn't quite sure how he expected her to react. However, what he definitely didn't think would happen was that Ji-yoon would just... not care. 

"And?" she asked. 

"So..." he began, clearing his throat. "You can't continue working with us on this." 

"But I'm not even investigating the murders," she deadpanned. Her tone and attitude kept Haechan from replying, so Renjun did it instead.