11- A New Day, A New Century

Steve opens his eyes slowly, fluttering himself awake. He hears the radio playing softly as he looks up at the cream ceiling. He turns his head, looking across the small room. He stretches his arms and slowly swings his legs off the bed and onto the floor. He sits up and turns to the radio. It's covering a baseball game, a familiar one. A woman walks in. "Good morning." She closes the door behind her and steps into the room. "Or should I say afternoon?" Steve looks at her intensely. "Where am I?" Her smile falters before returning. "You're in a recovery room in New York City." Steve looks the room up and down, then turns to the radio. "Where am I really?" The girl chuckles softly and shrugs her shoulders. "I'm afraid I don't understand." Steve looks at her, not breaking his iron glare. "The game. It's from May 1981, I know cause I was there." Her smile drops and he stands up. "Now I'm gonna ask you again, where am I?" The woman clicks her pen, flashing red light. "Captain Rogers," Steve steps forward and his voice grows louder. "Who are you?" The door opens and two men in full padding walk in. Steve throws them back, breaking through the thin walls. He jumps through the hole and looks around. The room he was in is fake. He turns around before sprinting out of the room. The woman calls for him. "Captain Rogers! Wait! All agents code 13, I repeat all agents code 13." Steve stops in the lobby. He looks around and sees men rushing towards him, so he runs faster, pushing people out of the way. He runs out of the building and onto the road, causing cars to honk at him. He keeps running until he reaches a crossroad. He spins slowly, looking at all the electronic billboards and skyscrapers surrounding him. Black cars surround him and a man with an eyepatch walks towards him. "At ease soldier. Look, I'm sorry about that little show back there, but we thought it best to break it to you slowly." Steve gasps for breath after running as he stares at the man. "Break what?" He continues his stare a the man sighs. "You've been asleep Cap. For almost 70 years." Steve looks around, taken back by the news. "Are you going to be okay?" He looks around again. "Wait, where is Y/N? I need my sister, where is she?" The man nods. "She's still sleeping. She isn't doing as well as you Cap, she only had 1/6th of the serum." Steve turns back to the man. "Look, I need to see her." The man puts his hand out as he brings his other up to his ear. "Actually, that's a great idea. She just woke up and punched our nurse." Steve smiles and looks at him. "She doesn't love strangers."

...

Your eyes flutter awake and you feel your shallow breaths filling your lungs. You sit up and look around, noticing a small radio sitting on a table. You listen to the soft song playing.

I'll never smile again
Until I smile at you
I'll never laugh again
What good would it do?

You watch as a woman opens the door softly and smiles as she steps inside. "Good afternoon Miss Rogers." You look at her with a frown. "Wait, where am I?" She walks closer to you. "A recovery room in New York City." 

For tears would fill my eyes
My heart would realize
That our romance is through

You look down at your hands as you rub your forefinger. "I crashed the plane." You speak softly as your eyebrows furrow. "What was that?" You look up at the woman. "I crashed the plane! I... I.. oh my gosh, wheres Steve? Is Steve okay? What about Sam? How long was I out?!" The woman steps forward again and reaches her hand out to place on your shoulder. 

I'll never love again
I'm so in love with you
I'll never thrill again
To somebody new

"Don't touch me, and answer my questions." Her smile falters and she fixes her posture. "Steve is just fine. He woke up before." You look up at her with a frown. "What about Sam? Sam Sawyer?" The woman looks back at the door and stutters. "I don't know, who that is?"

Within my heart
I know I will never start
To smile again
Until I smile at you

You look towards the door. "Okay, let me call him." Her eyes widen as she looks at you. "No, no, you can't." You stand up and fall at first, stumbling before holding onto the wall. "Why won't you let me see Sam? And what's behind the door?"

Within my heart
I know I will never start
To smile again
Until I smile at you

She steps back as you stumble forward. "Please, Miss Rogers, sit down." She reaches forward to grab your arm, so you punch her in the nose. "I told you not to touch me." You take another step and she grabs you and places you on the bed forcefully, bleeding out of her nose. "How long was I out?" She looks down at you as she clicks her pen. "Why would you ask that?" You look at her with a tear forming in your eye. "It's not 1945 anymore. You're in a costume. That tie is a man's tie, you can tell because it's too wide. Your hair is way too loose to actually work in. Your bra, there is just so much that is wrong, and I don't understand it. This isn't the 40s anymore, so when is it?" The woman looks down at you with wide eyes. "Oh, and the radio is very clear, almost no crackles. So when is it?" The woman takes a step back, leaving you on the bed, thoroughly confused and broken when the door bursts open and Steve comes in. "Y/N!" You turn, tears in your eyes. "Steve!" You let him rush over and hug you. You lean into the hug and whisper in his ear. "What year is it? And don't lie." Steve pulls back. "2011. It was her clothing wasn't it?" You nod. "God, could they at least try?"