4- Damn He a Beefcake

You mosey into the freezing air that hung still in the testing room. You marvel at the enticing metal contraption in the center of the room. The back is one solid piece, and the front opens through three components, one at the top, and two folding out to the side, all painted a light green. Panels of buttons and switches are situated around the room, and a man is inspecting a section when he hears the knocking of your heels against the metal floor and turns around. "You never called me back." The corners of your mouth rise as you realize the only man who could invent such innovation of technology. "Well, I've been busy being a nurse, Mr. Stark." His lips curl inwards as he gives a lopsided grin. "Well, you're about to be busy once more. Help me set up, will you?" You walk towards him and nod your head. "Of course Mr. Stark." He turns to face you as he pats his mustache. "Oh and Y/N, please call me Howard."

You lift your head as the doors swing open and Peggy and Steve appear on the small balcony. The room is shifted into silence as they make their way down the metal stairway. You stand by one of the panels as Dr Erkstine greets them "Good morning." A flash stuns Steve and you look over to see photographers crowding him. You strut over and stand in their way. "Thank you so much for coming, but I think you should really stand back." You push them away and give a small smile to Steve, which is returned with a grateful look. Once you have driven away the cameras, you go back to the testing area and start retrieving Steves's clothes. Dr Erkstine starts giving a speech as you get Steve ready. "You nervous?" He smiles and turns his head to Howard. "Well, I saw the car drop on stage, so I don't have full confidence." You smile and insert six blue vials into their spots on the machine and lower metal arms onto Steve's chest. You inject him with a needle and he winces. "That wasn't so bad." You laugh as Dr Erksine sighs. "That was penicillin. Serum infusion beginning in five, four, three, two, one." You watch as the blue liquid slowly disappears from their glass containers into Howard's machine. You cringe as Steve scrunched his face in pain. You look away, your eyes landing on Peggy who is watching Steve with great intensity. You grin, realizing that she likes Steve. Steves's eyes jump open and the doctor turns to Howard. "Now Mr. Stark." Howard pulls a lever down and the metal box that Steve is laying in lifts and rotates from a flat surface to practically making him stand up straight. The three doors close over Steve, with only a small window on the top piece keeping him visible. Dr. Erkstine knocks on the metal container. "Steven, can you hear me?" Steves's voice comes out muffled. "Probably too late to go to the bathroom, right?" Dr. Erkstine smirks and turns to Howard. "We will proceed." Howard turns a grey dial-up, and signals for everyone to put on their goggles. You slide them over your eyes and stand back. He turns a wheel and the machinery starts to hiss. "That's ten percent, twenty percent." A blinding light escapes from the window. "thirty, that's forty percent." You look at the equipment and turn to Howard. "Vital signs are normal." He keeps turning the black wheel with increasing difficulty. "Fifty, sixty." Steve starts to scream and everyone's eyes widen. Dr. Erkstine runs up to the window and starts to talk louder. "STEVEN, STEVEN" Peggy runs from her seat to the upper railing. "Shut it down! SHUT IT DOWN." The doctor turns and points at Howard. "Kill the reactor, Mr. Stark. Kill it, kill the reactor." You turn to the machine as Steves's screams lessen. "NO. DON'T. I can do this!" Howard nods and turns the wheel further. "Ninety, that's one hundred percent!" You pull one of the assistant's coats down with you as you crouch to avoid the sparks flying everywhere. The boards have electricity sparking in abundance, and the light from Steve's container dims. You pull your goggles down and walk over as the doors open and mist pours out. Everyone stares in captivation as Steve is revealed, now with muscles and a jawline. You grab his arm and help him walk. "Damn it, now you're taller than me." He gives a weak laugh as his breathing becomes slower and more controlled. Everyone rushes down to surround him and you pat Howard on the back. "You did it. He may not be a flying car, but you did it." Howard smiles when you see the doctor looking worried. "Is everything okay Dr. Erkstine?" Suddenly the viewing room explodes and glass is sprayed everywhere. "Someone stop him!" Your eyes widen in shock as a gunshot rings out and hits him in the chest. You watch as Steve goes over to him, then chases the man who shot him out of the room. You stumble over everyone to reach the doctor and kneel next to him. You hold his head up as tears leak out of your eyes. He lifts his head slightly and looks at you. "Your brother will do well, and I think you could too." You help everyone up and start working on removing pieces of glass from everyone. Once you're done you look up and notice that Steve and Peggy are gone. You walk over to Howard and frown. "Where have they gone?" He shakes his head. "Looking for trouble, but they'll be fine." You nod and walk out of the room.

...

You draw the needle out of Steve's arm and place the blood sample on a tray. You smile as he shakes his head. "You got enough?" Peggy smiles and Steve rolls down his sleeve. "Any hope of reproducing the program is not in your genetic code, but without Dr. Erkstine it will take years. Steve sighs. "He deserved more than this." You walk over and pat his back. "He deserved the chance for it to work again Steve." His frown deepens until Peggy speaks. "If it works only once he'd be proud it was you." You smile and contain your laughter as they look at each other. You follow the two of them along a metal staircase to reach where the Colonel is speaking. You stand behind Steve and frown. "I used to be just taller than you, and now you have to one-up me like this, so unfair." 

Steve smiles as you reach the lower floor and Peggy starts speaking. "Hydra is the nazi deep since division. It is lead by Johan Schmidt, but he has much bigger ambitions." The Colonel frowns as the three of you walk in and continues. "Hydra's practically a cult, they worship Schmidt, they think he's invincible." The senator frowns and takes off his hat. "So what are you gonna do about it?" The colonel turns and starts to walk around. "Spoke to the president this morning, as of today the SSR is being retasked." Peggy frowns. "Colonel?" He continues to walk towards her and frowns. "We are taking the fight to Hydra, pack your bags, Agent Carter, you too Stark. You're flying to London tonight." Steve turns to him. "Sir, if you're going after Schmidt I want in." You wince as the colonel replies. "You're an experiment you're going nowhere." Steve looks at you, then back at the colonel. "The serum worked" "I asked for an army and all I got was you. You, are not enough." He turns away and starts walking towards the door. "OOh, and Y/N, you will be going onto the front lines, there is no need for a nurse to be here anymore." Your head falls and you sigh. "Yes, colonel." As he walks out, the senator walks towards Steve and stops to stand in front of him. "With all due respect for the colonel, I think we may be missing the point. I've seen you in action Steve, more importantly, the country's seen it. Paper, enlistment lines have been around the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that, and hide him in a lab." He hands Steve a newspaper with his picture on the front page, causing Steve to give a small smile. the senator puts his hand on Steves's shoulder and brings him closer. "Son, do you want to serve your country? On the most important battlefield of the war?" Steve stops walking and turns to face him with a serious expression. "Sir, that's all I want." The senator shakes his hand with a thin smile. "Then congratulations, you just got promoted. How do you like tights?"

...

You stand at the back of the crowd, smiling like crazy. The curtains burst open and Steve stumbles forward, almost tripping on the girls dancing. His costume mainly comprises of a blue suit with a white star on the chest, red elbow-high gloves, and white sleeves. His stomach is plastered with red and white stripes. He has a fabric cap with an A on the forehead and small wings on each side. Lastly, he is holding a shield with red and white stripes, and a blue streak along the top with three white stars to finish the look, and you will never let him forget how stupid he looks. You can barely contain your laughter as the women start waving small American flags around and Steve looks completely lost. You hand Howard the bucket of popcorn in your hand as Steve punches a fake Hitler in the face. With a handful of popcorn, Howard turns to you. "That's your brother?" You turn to him with a humongous grin plastered on your face. "Yeah."

Once the show has ended you walk around to where Steve is taking photos and meeting people. You laugh as Steve grimaces and passes someone their baby. Once the family leaves, you run up to him and give him a hug. "Wow, and I thought I was the only one in the family who wears tights, and those boots add more height than my heels!" Steve frowns and puts his hands on his hips. "Well, then maybe you don't deserve a picture." Your jaw drops open and you stare at him. "I hadn't even thought of that! Great idea!" You burst out laughing as you're handed a photo of Steve looking miserable and you beaming with joy. You shove it into your small bag. "Why thank you, Captain America." He lightly punches you in the arm. You notice Howard waving you down, so you say goodbye. "Are you dating him?" For the second time in a minute, you burst out laughing. "Oh god, heavens no. He flirts with me, as he does all women, but we are just friends." You walk off waving to Steve and return to Howard. He has a big pout and you raise an eyebrow. "Is the idea of dating me really so horrible that you burst out laughing?" You start walking, leaving him behind for a moment. "Of course."