9- In Which Everything Goes Wrong

The months that follow are filled with dangerous missions with the Howling Commandos, as well as plenty of dates with Happy Sam. You rubbed your arms, the snowy mountain air prickling your skin. Your eyes run along the zipline above you to the train tracks below. "I don't know about you boys, but I am freezing. When is this train coming?" Steve and Bucky shake their heads and Sam laughs. Steve pats you on the back. "This is what happens when you come along, there is just so much complaining!" You turn to Monty with an open jaw. "You have never done a hydra mission without me, and we have yet to fail. And before you had me, all of you got captured. Some might say I'm your lucky charm." Jones smiles as he loads his rifle. "If only we said that." You gasp and dramatically bring your hand to your chest. Everyone chuckles and you go stand near Sam as Steve and Bucky start to talk. Bucky looks over the edge of the cliff with a grin. "Remember when I made you ride the cyclone at Coney Island?" Steve joins his gaze with a raised eyebrow. "Yeah, and I threw up?" You snicker as you listen in. "This isn't payback, is it?" Steve grins as he looks up at the zipline. "Now why would I do that?" You draw a smile in the snow with your foot and grin. "Because, I'm the nice twin, and you're the evil one." Steve frowns and looks at you. "How am I the evil twin?! That's unfair." You grin your hands up and shrug. "Hey, I don't make the rules! I just break them."

Bucky smiles and you look back at Sam as he starts speaking. "You were right, Dr. Zola's on the train. Dispatchers gave permission to open up the throttle, wherever he's going they need him bad." You look over at Bucky and Steve with a grin. "I am always right, how many times do I need to say this?" Bucky smiles at you as Steve puts on his helmet. Flasworth looks up from his binoculars with a straight face. "Let's get going because they are removing like the devil." Everyone lines up at the zipline, ready to go. Steve clips on a handle and looks back at the Commandos. "We've only got about a ten-second window, you miss that window and we're bugs on a windshield." Falsworth smiles and jolts his eyebrows. "Mind the gap." Dugan stands behind Steve and peers over the cliff. "Better get moving bugs." Sam swings his arm forward and lets you behind Steve as he jumps forward. You stare at the large drop and rub your forefinger. "Ladies first." You smile as you clip on your handlebar. "What a gentleman." You jump forward and let your legs swing back in the wind.

As you near the train, a strong gust throws you off balance, and you start spinning as you let go. You land on the train and stabilize yourself by putting your hand out. Steve shakes his head as he looks at you. "A front flip? Really? What a show-off." You stare at him then nod. "Says the genetically enhanced super-soldier who wears a costume on every mission." Bucky land near you, and you let him follow you and Steve on top of the train and into one of the compartments. You climb down the ladder and softly jump inside the train. You look around at the compartment. The air seems still as you look around at the canisters filling the three shelves. You creep forward and go to the right of the middle shelf, Steve going on the left and Bucky following behind you. You look at Bucky with a raised eyebrow as Steve moves into the next compartment. Before you or Bucky could take a step forward, the door close. "Oh shit." 

Steve runs to the small window as you start shooting at the man silently moving closer to Bucky and you. Another man comes into your carriage as you and Bucky shoot the first. "Give me a break!" You shoot one, hitting him in the chest, as Bucky hits the other one in the gut. You rush to the other side of the compartment and hide behind boxes. Bucky tries to use his rifle and realizes that it's out of ammo. "Y/N, do you have a spare gun?" You look at him with wide eyes. "You are so freaking lucky!" You slide Bucky the gun you're holding and take a gun out of your thigh holster. "Am I the only prepared one here?" Bullets hit the door frame near Bucky as two men filter into the room. Bucky starts shooting as the men move closer, knocking boxes down. One of them moves forward and grabs you by the neck. "I've got you!" You grin and look at Bucky. "Oh no sir, I've got you." You flip him over and shoot him in the head, blood splattering on your clothes. Bucky keeps firing at the remaining man when he runs out of ammo again and Steve opens the door. He throws him a new gun and runs into the room. He slams one of the boxes, pushing the man onto Bucky's side, giving him the perfect shot. "I had him on the ropes." Steve walks back to be in line with Bucky. "I know you did." You smile and pat Steve on the back. "Can you come sooner next time?" Bucky look sat you with a frown. "I had him on the ropes!"

You hear a buzzing behind and Steve turns around. "GET DOWN!" He brings up his shield and steps in front of you and Bucky. The shot rebounds and creates a hole in the train. You grab a fallen gun to shoot him when Bucky has the same idea. You bump into him and start to tip out of the train. "WOOOW!" Bucky leaps behind you and throws you back onto the train. He only just manages to keep his grip on the side of the train. You get back to your feet and peer over the side. "JAMES BUCHANAN BARNES I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU FALL I'LL KILL YOU MYSELF!" Steve pushes you aside and climbs across, reaches his arm out for Bucky. As he lets go of one hand, the rail he is clutching falls off. You scream as he plummets into the valley.

...

Your head turns as you hear the light tap of Peggy's heels on the rubble floor of the bar. She looks around at the broken windows and the fallen-in roof. You don't stand up, you don't talk, you only give her the smallest smile she had ever seen from you. You frown as Steve looks over at her and pours another drink. "Dr. Erkstine said that the serum would just affect my muscles, it would affect my cells. Creates a protective system of regeneration and healing, which means, um, I can't get drunk." You let your eyes follow her as she slowly walks over. "And I can drink this bar out without feeling tipsy out of pure skill." You give a small chuckle before returning to your somber state. You grab the bottle from Steve and take a big gulp before continuing. "Guess it's not such a great skill now though, is it?" Peggy takes a chair from the rubble and sits down at the small table. "It wasn't your fault, either of you." Steve looks down. "Did you read the report?" Peggy nods and leans forward slightly. "Yes." You sit up and look at her. "Well if you read the report, you would know that it was my fault. He was saving me. I fell, Peggy. I tripped, and now Bucky is gone. It IS my fault. I don't need your pity, and I don't need your lies. If I hadn't needed saving, he still would be here." You lean back and shake your head. You bring your hands up through your hair on the back of your head. "Maybe they were all right, I can't be a hero. I'm only meant to be a teacher, or a nurse, or a wife and a mother. That is my limit." Peggy turns to you with a deep frown, raising her voice slightly. "A door blew open, anyone would have fallen." You look up at her with tears starting to form in your eyes. 

"Yeah Peg, but I'm the one who did." 

You stand up and start to walk out when she speaks up. "You did everything you could. Did you believe in your friend? Did you respect him?" She waits as the two of you look to the floor. "Then stop blaming yourself. Allow Barnes the dignity of his choice. He damn well must have thought you were worth it." Steve looks up at you, then back to Peggy. "I'm going after Shmidt. I'm going to stop till all of HYDRA is dead or captured." You turn back to them with a frown. "I don't think I'll join you." Peggy looks at you with a stern face. "You are Y/N Rogers. And you both saved and lost lives as both a nurse and a soldier. That is more than I can say about myself because I have only lost and saved lives as an agent. You will be going, if not for your sake, then for mine. We need more women in the fields, whether they like it or not. A wise person once told me, "I know that it can be hard, but we have to be better than them. If anyone sees a single weakness in either of us, we'll be gone before we can click our heels" So, keep your chin up Rogers, both of you. We do not stop for any loss, because we would not want others to stop for ours." You start to smile and Peggy walks out of the bar, leaving you and Steve in silence and your smile to drop. "I am so sorry Steve, I really am." He stands up and looks at you as he walks out. "I know." You look at the dark night sky through the hole in the roof, finally letting your tears fall.