8- A Date with Your Destiny

Having the serum hasn't changed much about you. You have more energy now, and with your leg feeling 100%, you take walks a lot. Letters to Anna are written almost daily, even when there isn't a lot of news. Just as you pass by a short beige building, you see Happy Sam leave. Seeing you, he smiles and walks over. "Hey N/N! How's your leg." You turn around and grin as he starts a small run to reach you. "Hey Sam, it's feeling great." He grins and takes a moment to take a deep breath. "You know what this means right?" You raise an eyebrow as his smile grows. "Well, with your leg better, you have no excuse not to go dancing with me tonight." The corners of your mouth rise, revealing your top teeth. "In that case, I guess I have no choice but to go! How you could do this to me I'll never know." Happy Sam chuckles at your words which are dripping with sarcasm. "Since you can't refuse, how about you meet me at Riva's and Rosario's?" You chuckle and curtsey. "I'll count the very seconds to my torture." 

As you walk off there is a spring in your step. You enter one of the buildings to look for Peggy when you hear four gunshots ring out. You break into a run and turn into the weapons room, only to see Steve and Howard looking shocked and Peggy leaving in a huff. You look over at Steve and see the shield he's holding with four skid marks, causing you to frown. "Was that her? God, if she gets to shoot Steve then I want a turn as well." Steve turns to you, not losing his shocked expression, Howard sharing the frozen look. You shake your head and walk out of the room. "Well, I am going to go after her if both of you are too stupid." You swing the door open and see Peggy pacing back and forth with a scrunched-up face. "Hey Peg, whatcha doing?" She stops walking and looks at you. "N/N, I know I'm not dating Steve, but he was kissing this girl and..." You walk over and give her a hug. "Peggy, Steve is stupid, I should know, I live with him. I also know that he really likes you." Peggy takes a step back looks at you. "Does he? Honestly, I didn't think he cared." You scoff and shake your head. "The day that boys actually tell us what they're feeling will be the day that pigs fly. Wait, Howard flies." Peggy laughs and wipes her eyes. You put a hand on her shoulder and look into her eyes. "Look, Peg, I know that it can be hard, but we have to be better than them. If anyone sees a single weakness in either of us, we'll be gone before we can click our heels. So, chin up, okay?" Peggy nods, finding a weird form of solidarity in your words. "On a similar note, when are you going to ask out Sam?" You chuckle and give her a sly grin. "Already done Agent, we are going dancing tonight."  She gives you a side smile and walks forward. "Good job Rogers."

...

You stand outside the club, rocking back and forth on your heels as you wait for Sam to arrive. You brush your dress down. It's a white strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and a flowy skirt that finishes mid-calf. A thick droopy bow sits on your left hip, attached to a thick band that cinches your waist. The dress has deep pink flowers with long green stems and wide green leafs scattered all over the fabric. You added a cropped pink cardigan and matching heels to complete the look. You start rubbing your forefinger, wondering if Sam will ever arrive when you see him walking around the corner. Your face lights up as he jogs forward to reach you. "Wow, N/N, you look, wow." The right corner of your mouth rises as you take his arm and walk into the club. "Thanks, Sam, you look great too." He lifts his chin and leads you into the large club. It has a large hardwood floor, and a stage at the front with microphones lined up on the edge. There is a bar sitting to the side of the hall, couples sitting on the tables surrounding the entrance. "This place is gorgeous Sam!" He beams as he lead you to the dancefloor, still holding his arm out with you latched on.

As you walk onto the floor, a man in a white tuxedo walks out and grabs the microphone. "Big round of applause for that amazing group! Next up, Amapola!" The crowded hall erupts in applause as a man and woman walk onto the stage and get ready. "I love this song, I always try to get Steve to join in, but he never does." Sam laughs and starts to sways as the music starts. He grabs your hand and pulls you deeper into the dance floor.

A boy found a dream upon a distant shore
A maid with a way of whispering "si senor."
Each night while guitars would softly play,
The tune seemed to dance 'round the words that he'd say:

Sam starts to nervously and slowly sway forward and back as he holds your hips. You rest your hands on his shoulders and follow his lead.

Amapola, my pretty little poppy
You're like that lovely flow'r so sweet and heavenly,
Since I found you, my heart is wrapped around you
And loving you, it seems to beat a Rhapsody

He draws you in closer and whispers in your ear. "Your dress matches the song." You smile as your cheeks go red. Instead of pushing back out, you stay close to him and lay your hands behind his neck

Amapola, the pretty little poppy
Must copy it's endearing charm from you.

Amapola, Amapola, how I long to hear you say "I love you." 

You sway your step to the beat, leaning slightly as well. Sam grins as he joins in, lightly tilting your hips as you step. You slowly spin around each other, not breaking eye contact. You break apart and clap for the singers as the music slows to its stop. Sam walks you over to the bar and orders a drink. "Do you sing Y/N?" You scoff and shake your head vigorously. "No way. I can't carry a single note, let alone a tune. But, I dance." He grins and thanks the bartender as he hands you your drinks. "Well, I'll get you to sing one day." You raise an eyebrow as he leans back on the bar with his forearms. "I'm not so sure about that Sam." You both chuckle with large grins. You watch as he tips back the rest of his drink and lays his hand out. "Oh, I promise that I'll get you to sing, even if it's only one word." You take his hand and let him lead you back to the dance floor. "Well, you never know. Maybe on the next date." He stops and looks at you. "Next date?" You stop walking and your eyes go wide. "Sorry, I thought this was going well, um. Sorry." You let your head hang and his jaw drops. "No no no that's not what I meant! I just thought I wasn't doing too well." You bring your head up and grin. "I think you're doing very well."

...

A/N

Hey! I am super sorry for making this chapter Short, but I think we all know what is about to happen, and I just wanted one happy chapter, is that too much to ask for? So the next chapter will also be short, apologies. I hope you're enjoying the book! I really appreciate everyone who reads even just the first chapter.