1- So Close to Murder

You are sat at your vanity desk putting on blush when you hear aggressive knocking at the door.  You dash over and open it, revealing an exhausted-looking Bucky dragging in a very beaten-up Steve. You sigh and wave them in. Bucky nods his thanks and lays Steve on the couch. "You know, I may be trained as a nurse, but I'm actually a teacher." Bucky smirked. "Well, you might have to be a nurse, going into the war might be better than staying here." You smile at him as you try to reach up to your first aid kit on the top shelf. "Well, just because you enlisted doesn't mean I will. I mean, I would, but I have to look after Steve." You give up on reaching, because you're too short, even in your heels, and Bucky has to come over and hand it to you. "Thank you." You walk over to Steve and sigh. "You two need to stay out of trouble." Steve shakes his head aggressively, and Bucky snickers. Bucky mouths along to Steves's words, you both know them off by heart. Every time Steve comes back with a broken nose, or a bruised lip, he says the exact same thing. "No, not when there are boys who say those awful things about women. If no one stands up to what they're doing, then they think it's okay, and it's not. Someone has to protect the women. If you heard what they said, you would have punched them too."

You shake your head and hand Bucky back the kit. "James, look after him." He frowns and looks at you. "Why me, can't you just do it? You always do it!" You smile and look between the two boys. "Because, I have a date." Steve suddenly sits up. "A date? No way." He shakes his head vigorously and crosses his arms. "You can't go. I won't let you." You put your hands on your hips and look at him. "I'm 26, if I want to go on a date I will. Besides, if I never go on a date, I might never get married." Steve smiles and nods his head. "Good. Stay single and take care of us."  Bucky lets out a laugh and hands you your purse, which was sitting on the table. "Have a nice time Y/N." Your lips curve upwards as you grab it from him. "Thank you, Barnes." As you wave goodbye and close the door, Steve hits Bucky's arm. "Dude, why would you let her leave?" His lips form a lopsided grin and he turns to Steve. "Because, now we can follow her, and ruin her date." Steve stands up and brushes dirt off his pants. "You really are a genius."

...

You sit down at the bar, waiting for your date to arrive. You brush your dress down nervously. Normally you don't dress up too much, only heels and a presentable dress, but you liked getting dolled-up on occasion. The dress you picked out has a black A-line skirt with a black belt around your waist. The top is blush pink, and the sleeves puff out and end at your elbows. There is a thin black bow that is tied around the collar, and you put on a pink hairpin to match. You smile as you see your date walk in and sit next to you. "Hello Y/N. You look lovely tonight." You smile and take his outstretched hand. "Thank you, Michael, you look dashing." He smiles and leads you to the dance floor. The band starts playing and you grin. "Oh, Michael, I love this song!" You pull him into the middle of the floor and start slow dancing and singing along.

I don't want to set the world on fire

I just want to start a flame in your heart

You put your hands around his neck and sway along to the music.

In my heart I have but one desire

You smile as he puts his arms on your waist and pulls you closer.

And that one is you

No other will do

You sway side to side as you look into his eyes. They are a deep brown, matching his short slicked-back hair. 

I've lost all ambition for worldly acclaim
I just want to be the one you love

He starts to twirl you around, making you giggle. He pulls you back to face him and you see him smiling as wide as you. 

And with your admission that you feel the same
I'll have reached the goal I'm dreaming of

You rest your head on his chest and start slowly spinning the two of you around. He whispers the lyrics in your ears for the rest of the song. As the song finishes up you excuse yourself and go to the bathroom to fix your makeup. As soon as you step away, Bucky and Steve take their chance and walk up to your date. "What's your name? How do you know Y/N?" He raises an eyebrow at the two boys and frowns. "Michael Collins. I went to school with her and we bumped into each other yesterday. Why? Who are you?" Steve scowled, offended that he remembered you and not him. "I'm Steve Rogers, her brother." Michael looked at Bucky "And you?" He pointed at Bucky. "Oh, I'm just her friend. A friend who is willing to hurt people who hurt her." Michael laughed and took a step back from the pair. "Look, I'm not going to do anything, and you two don't really scare me. I know Y/N, and I'm guessing she doesn't know you're here, and she'll be back soon." As if on queue. the boys turn around to see the bathroom door swing open. They quickly walk away, just barely missing your gaze. You take Michael's hand and go back to the dance floor once again. 

As you walk out of the club, you could swear that you see Bucky and Steve sitting at the bar, but you know that they wouldn't follow you and your date all evening and brush it off. You talk to Michael all the way back and stop out the front of your apartment. "I had a really good time tonight." He smiles and hands you your small black bag. "I did too. You are a great dancer." You smile and step closer to him. You look up and start to lean in when Steve and Bucky come barreling around the corner. Bucky lifts you by the waist and pulls you back. "Nope. Not happening." He starts to pull you back inside. "Wait! Michael!" Steve looks at Michael. "She won't be seeing you again." He slams the door and turns towards you. You stomp on Bucky's foot, making him drop you. You turn towards him and slap him on the arm. You turn away and walk towards Steve. You slap him straight across the face and stare at the two of them. "HOW DARE YOU DO THAT! He was so nice! I swear to god, if you mess up one more of my dates, you won't be able to walk!" You turn on your heel and slam the door to your room. The boys look at each other, cringing from the slaps. "I think we may have messed up Buck." Bucky turns and slaps the back of Steve's head. "No shit Steve."

Bucky sits down at the small wooden table and looks at Steve. "Okay we should go apologise, I may have crossed a line. Normally we just tell them she's weird." Steve looks at Bucky and shakes his head. "No way. As long as she lives with us, she has to put up with us." Bucky looks at Steve and sighs. "We can only afford rent because of her. You're her brother, you have to get along. Otherwise, I'll have to kick you out, and then I'm just living with a random girl." Steve furrows his brows. "Hey, why not kick her out?" Bucky laughs and points at Steve. "You don't know how to cook, or do laundry, and she convinces the landlord to give us more time when we don't have money for rent." Steve frowns and sits down next to him. "Okay, maybe we crossed a line, but I'm just trying to protect her." Bucky pats his back and stands up. "She can do pretty decent damage with those heels, I think she'll be fine." 

You look over to your door as Steve and Bucky knock. You put down the rag you used to wipe off your makeup and walk to the door. You lean against the frame as you open it, revealing Steve and Bucky looking very sheepish. You cross your arms and look at them. "What do you want?" Steve looks at the floor as he speaks. "We're sorry we ruined your date, he did seem nice." You looked at him and frowned. "Well, thanks to you I'll probably never see him again. So, thank you for that." Bucky curled his lips and looked at you. "Look, Y/N, I really am sorry. We shouldn't have done that." You nod your head and turn around. Before you close the door you speak. "Oh, and I won't be helping around the apartment tomorrow as punishment." Bucky and Steve groan. Bucky frowns and knocks his head back. "What did we do to deserve this?" You and Steve look at him. "Oh yeah,  the whole scaring off your date thing."