3- Idiocy in Action

You wake up early, something you despise doing, but will probably have to get used to. You rub your eyes and stare at the ceiling. It had small cracks reaching out from the corners and was peeling slowly. The bland block filled your vision. It was so... plain, unlike every other part of your life. Yesterday, you signed up as a nurse once Steve told you he enlisted. You sigh, remembering how quickly they found a placement for you, one leaving today. You stumble as you go to sit at your vanity and twist the knob on the small radio. A crackling noise fills the air before you give it a hit and the music surrounds you.

A heart that's true, there are such things
A dream for two, there are such things

You walk over to a small package at the foot of your bed, unwrapping it to reveal your new nurse uniform. As you get dressed, you let the music slide through your ears, gently swaying you from side to side.

Someone to whisper Darling you're my guiding star
Not caring what you own but just what you are

You slip on the pristine white dress and fasten the belt. You curl up the sleeves until they sit at your elbows. You hum along to the voice of silk protruding from the small radio. You think about Michael, and rub your thumb along your forefinger. You were leaving everything behind today, especially him.

A peaceful sky, there are such things
A rainbow high where heaven sings

You clip small bows on the front of your white heels and sit down at your vanity mirror. You pin your hair back out of your face and place the white cap onto your head.

So have a little faith and trust in what tomorrow brings
Youll reach a star because there are such things

You twirl around your room, singing along to the song. You make your bed and walk over to the vanity desk.

So have a little faith and trust in what tomorrow brings
Youll reach a star because there are such things

You take a deep breath and brush off your dress. You grab photos off the desk, as well as a small amount of makeup. You put them in a small bag, along with a few dresses and other necessities. You walk over to the radio and turn it off. You place the bag by the door and walk into the kitchen to see Bucky already sitting down. "What are you wearing?" You smile and sit down. "Turns out, you're not the only one leaving for the war today." Bucky frowns. "But you said you'd only go if Steve went, and Steve, oh no. Someone accepted him?! Were they out of their mind?!" You laugh and look at Bucky's worried face. "He will be fine. He has to be." Bucky nods as Steve walks into the kitchen. He smiles and pours some coffee for himself. "Good morning you two. So, when are you leaving?" You stand up and look at the clock on the wall. "About now actually. Maybe I'll be stationed at one of your camps, who knows." You smile and walk over to Steve. "Don't get killed, I'm still mad about the date, and I'd hate for you to die and not let me get the last word in." You hug him and almost squeeze the life out of him. You walk over to Bucky and give him a smaller hug. "Don't get into too much trouble, you'll give him ideas." You walk into your room and talk one last deep breath. You loved this room, even though it was small. You loved living in Brooklyn, and going dancing, and seeing Steve and Bucky before you left for work. You wipe a tear out of the corner of your eye and grab the bag. As you're about to leave the apartment you turn to look at the two boys. "Goodbye, I'll see you soon, and I'll write if I can find your camps." You smile and give a weak wave. "Bye Y/N, we'll miss you."  You let a deep breath brush into your lungs as your eyes start to water. You turn around and shut the door. Off to war.

...

As you walk the dirt track around the training camp and see a man getting punched in the face, causing him to fall to the floor. You snicker as you jog back to the medical tent to grab ice. You walk over and reach the group as the colonel is giving a speech to inspire the recruits. You almost die of laughter when you see Steve standing in his uniform, the helmet looks like it might swallow him. You hand the ice to the woman who punched him and whisper in her ear. "Nice shot. I'm Y/N." She takes the ice and smiles. "Why thank you, Agent Peggy Carter." You grin as she speaks. She stands with perfect posture in her neat uniform. "Wow, I love the accent!" She smiles and you both look back at the boys. The one who got punched is staring at the ice intently. Peggy grins as she raises her voice so that he hears. "Oh, these recruits will only be able to get medical attention at the end of the day, unless it's urgent of course." His face drops and he wipes the blood off his face. You nod and walk back to the tent, barely containing your laughter. As soon as you step into the tent you burst into a fit, only one step away from rolling on the floor. "What's so funny?" You look up. "Oh Anna, you should have seen! This woman, she punched one of the recruits and then refused to give him ice. You should have seen his face!" Anna Edwards was the only other nurse stationed with you. There wasn't a huge need for nurses because it was only a training camp, but you were lucky you spent all day with Anna. She was always nice, and always wore her long fiery red hair in a tight bun. "Well, that does sound hilarious, someone getting punched. Aren't nurses meant to want people to be healthy?" You smile and sit down on one of the beds. "Well, yes, but she was so much smaller than him, and he was on the floor doubled over in pain." Anna let out a snort. "Really, well my sarcasm is official off, that sounds quite funny."

At the end of the day, the man came into the tent. He walked straight inside and sat down on the closest bed. "Hey! You! My nose is killing me, help me will ya?" You take a deep breath before walking over. "Okay, what is your name?" He smiles and leans back on the bed. "Hodge, what about you gorgeous?" You look at him with a raised eyebrow. "I need yours for the medical record, why on earth do you need mine?" He grins and runs his fingers through his hair. "Well, I need a girl to think of during battle, and it would be nice to put a name to such a beautiful face." You smile and put his folder down. "Well, it's Y/N, now this may hurt." You smack his broken nose back into place. He yells, taken by surprise. "OH FUCK ME" You smile and wipe the blood off your hands. "Maybe if my standards drop about six feet below, then I'll get in touch."

Steve needs medical attention almost every day, so it gives you a chance to talk to him. "How did you hurt yourself today?" Steve rubs the back of his head. "I got scratches from wire, and they filled with mud." You clean his scratches and talk. "So, how is it being the smallest soldier ever?" His mouth sets in a hard line. "Hey, I may be small, but I'm the smartest one there." You laugh. "Wow, they must be stupid." He hits you on the arm as you laugh. "No, it's true! And I'm the bravest. Today, there was a grenade and I jumped on top of it. If it wasn't a dummy grenade, I would have saved everyone." Your eyes widen as your mouth falls open. "WHY NOT JUST THROW IT INTO THE WOODS?! I'VE WALKED AROUND THE CAMP, YOU COULD HAVE THROWN IT INTO THE WOODS?!" Steve blinks and purses his lips with his jaw open. "Maybe I'm not the smartest one here." You smack him and give him a lopsided grin. "Of course not. As long as I am here, it's not even a competition."

...

With darkness washing over the clear sky, you let Anna go to sleep and keep cleaning the tent. As you put away the bandages, you hear the soft crunch of footsteps at the entrance. You peer around and see a familiar face. "So, I see you became a nurse." You smirk and brush the dust off your hands. "As predicted. To what do I owe this visit Dr. Erkstine?" He slowly shuffles closer to you. "I have been working on a serum that is finally complete. It will enhance the taker in many ways. It will make them stronger, faster, more agile, among other things. It takes a lot to make it work, and I will require a nurse there to help, would you like to partake?" You grin and nod. "Of course doctor. Might I ask, who will the soldier be who takes it?" His mouth twisted as your fell. "It's Steve isn't it?" His head drops and you let out a small sigh. "I don't like that he will be in more danger, but he is the right choice. I will see you tomorrow doctor, goodnight." Dr. Erkstine grins and walkes out. "Good night Y/N."