10- A Set of Goodbyes

"Johan Shmidt belongs in a big house. He thinks he's a god and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it. Starting with the USA." Phillips points to a map as he talks, pacing back and forth. You look across the table and smile at Sam, who is picking at his nail beds. Howard walks in, late as usual, and sits next to Pinkerton. "Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities. He gets across the Atlantic, he'll wipe off the entire eastern seaboard in an hour." Steve places his files down and looks at the table. Sam looks over at the Colonel. "How much time we got?" Phillips looks up from his papers and gives a fragment of a smile. "According to my new best friend, under 24 hours." You lean over to Dugan, who is sitting next to you. "Can't believe I've been replaced." He brings his hand to his mouth to stifle his small laugh. Falsworth leans forward on the table. "Where is he now?" The Colonel points to a small picture in his hands. "HYDRA's last base is here, in the alps. 500 feet below the surface." Moita picks up the photo of the snow-capped mountains and sighs. "So what are we supposed to do, I mean it's not like we can just knock on the door." You pout your lips and look at him. "I don't see why not." Steve looks up from the table and makes eye contact with you, wearing a smirk. "That's exactly what we're going to do."

After the meeting, Sam walks around the long table and smiles. You grin as you stand up and walk together in a side hug. "You know, this is a super dangerous mission." You lean your head on his shoulder with a small frown. "I know Sam, and I also know that I have to be a part of it." He sighs and nods. You stop walking and face him, your head resting on his neck. He smiles at how perfectly you fit together, a complete jigsaw. "Yeah. Maybe, when the war is over, we could, I don't know, move forward." You stop walking and look up at him. "What does that mean?" He gives you a lopsided grin and takes your hand. "Maybe, if you wanted, we could live together." You can't control your beaming smile as you pull him into a hug. "I would love that. A lot." You chuckle as he lets out a sigh of relief. "You know, maybe you could meet my parents as well. They always ask about you. And maybe I could meet yours." You look down and curl your lips in. You rub your forefinger and look back up at him. "I actually don't have parents for you to meet." His eyes widen as he looks at you. "Oh, Y/N, sorry. I shouldn't have mentioned it." You shake your head and give him a small smile. "No Sam, it's fine really. Now, our apartment, I'm thinking black walls." He laughs and shakes his head. "What? Why?!" He laughs more and pulls you back into the side hug before kissing your forehead. "Because, as much as I love your sense of style, I'm not going through with that." You both laugh and everything feels perfect. 

For the first time in a long time, there feels like a bubble of joy is protecting you from the rest of the world. It is protecting you from the war, from HYDRA, from the sadness of Bucky's death. But soon, you will have to pop the bubble and lose its rainbow sheen.

...

You let your long skirt fly in the wind as you lean on your motorcycle. You follow Steve with a massive smile. A group of HYDRA men slink behind Steve, and you drag behind with a smirk. You shoot one down as they start firing at Steve. You drift to the side as you make a sharp turn, dust flying behind you. You see Steve shoot out ropes from each side of his bike in front of you. You quickly stand on your bike and jump over, landing on the HYDRA bikes of one of the men who fell off. You sit down with a grin. You move to the side as Steve sets fire to one of the bikes, and follow two men on a shortcut. You shoot them down and watch as another man flips over the front of his bike. You join the main path again and see the slick base up ahead. You move to the left and get ready to use the slanted wall as a ramp. Steve sits his shield on his bike as a laser cannon shoots at both of you. You just swerve and line up for the jump. A tank comes from a gamp in the middle and Steve shoots it down, causing it to blow up. As you leave the ramp and fly into the air, you can feel the explosion growing before it settles. "Do you always have to be so damn dramatic?" Steve chuckles and nods his head. "I get it from you!" You land in the base and shoot men down as they fire with their blue guns. You stand up on your bike and jump off as Steve does the same. His bike hits the base wall as the set explosion goes off. You and Steve keep fighting the men together.  "Well, at least make this a challenge!" You hit the side of your gun as it runs out of ammo, before hitting more men as they come closer. You knee one man in the stomach and kick him back before elbowing another soldier and sweeping their legs from underneath them. You take your spare gun out of your thigh holster and start shooting again. As you do, men storm around you and start their flame guns, leaving you and Steve in a ring of impenetrable fire. "You know what, I take it back."