chapter sixty one*

Song: Dreams, Fleetwood Mac

Now here I go again, I see the crystal visions, I keep my visions to myself, it's only me who wants to wrap around your dreams

Frankie Doyle

June

The smell of sweat and the sound of heavy grunts filled the air as people around me trained. I had only been able to start heavily training again a couple of months ago, but it felt so good to be able to move my body with no restrictions again.

"Frankie, focus. Make sure you left leg is centre with the bag and bring your hands bag to your face after every punch. Don't let them drop," my trainer, Sienna, recaptured my focus.

I brought my eyes back to the boxing bag in front of me. I moved my body, hitting it with as much power as I could.

"Light on your feet," Sienna encouraged.

Each breath came out short and sharp as my fists collided with it. The feeling was exhilarating. Every movement challenged me, but motivated me to do better than my last.

"Yes! That's it Frankie! Five more minutes then we're onto weight training," she informed me.

I could feel my heartbeat pulsing around my body as I continued to move. In that moment, I was taking out all of my frustrations from the past year on that boxing bag. Every race I missed, everything I couldn't do, every trophy I could've added to my collection... It sounds cheesy, but I was taking this next phase as my second chance. I was going to work harder than I ever had before. I had so much to prove.

"And time," Sienna called.

I let my hands fall to my sides, breathing deeply.

"Your movements are getting stronger each session Frank. You should be proud," she smiled as she passed me a water bottle.

"I'm feeling stronger too, I really missed this," I smiled before taking a long swig out of the bottle.

"I can tell. How's your back feeling?" She asked.

"It's definitely not as strong as it used to be, but I'm not in any pain. I guess it's just a work in progress," I shrugged as we walked over to the weights station.

"Exactly. I'm confident that by the time the season starts, you'll be as strong as you ever were before," she said as she started setting up my bar. "We'll start lighter so that you don't strain yourself, how does ten kilos a side sound?"

"That's fine," I replied.

"Okay, you're going to give me three dead lifts, three rows and three clean and presses, okay? I want you to start with five reps and we'll see if we can get it up to ten, but don't push yourself on this one," she said sternly.

I grabbed the weighted bar and slowly began to move it with my body. I loved the feeling of getting stronger. I went from doing these exercises with no weight on the bar and each session I was able to increase it.

"Phone's ringing," Sienna called, breaking my concentration.

"What?" I asked.

"Your phone," she repeated, picking it up. "It's Mark."

I dropped the bar immediately, taking the phone from her.

"Hey Mark," I answered.

"Frankie! How are ya?" He said cheerily through the phone.

"I'm good. I'm just at the gym. Things are looking good. Sienna reckons I'll be good for the beginning of the season.

"That's what I like to hear. I've just received some news that might help with your training too," he started.