chapter fifty three

Song: Couch Potato, Shortstraw

Frankie Doyle

March

Airports are generally overwhelming at the best of times. There always seemed to be a tension that hung in the air as quick paced travellers zoomed in every direction. Patience seemed to be something that no one had, and today, it was something I needed a lot of.

I spent the car ride to the airport in high-alert mode. I was sat in the front seat with one hand gripping on the roof handle, the other pressed firmly against the seat. Every little bump on the road made my heart skip a beat as I tried to absorb the movement in every area of my body except my back.

My dad was driving. Harry had offered, but I think my dad felt better knowing he was in control of the car. I honestly didn't care, I just wanted to be home. The bickering coming from Harry and Brooklyn in the back seat was also a great distraction.

"Look Styles, all I'm saying is you've never seen me in a race car. How could you possibly know if you'd beat me. For all you know I'm a secret street racer that you wipe the track with your ass," Brooklyn argued.

"Even if that was the truth Brooklyn, which we both know it's not, I still have years of experience on you," Harry shrugged as I watched them banter from the wing mirror.

"Experience doesn't mean everything. Technically you have more experience than Frankie, yet she's absolutely wasted you on many occasions," Brooklyn smirked.

"Uh, don't bring me into this, thank you very much," I tried not to laugh. Laughing hurts now.

"Actually no. I'd love to get your opinion on this Frank," Brooklyn raised her eyebrow.

"Can't I just focus on getting to the airport?" I complained.

"No. Who would win in a race? Your best friend of seventeen years, or your boyfriend of not seventeen years?"

I gently shook my head with an eye roll.

"I think I would waste you both. Conversation over," I sighed.

I tuned out as they continued to banter back and forth. Even though right now I couldn't necessarily enjoy it, I really loved how close Harry and Brooklyn had become. It made so many aspects of my life easy and drama free.

"We're coming up to a speed bump sweetheart. I'll try and take it as gently as I can," my dad warned me as he slowed down the car.

My hands gripped tightly as I braced myself against the jolt.

Small jolts of pain shot up my back as the front, then back wheels went over the raised piece of road.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked. All playfulness from his voice had disappeared.

"I'm fine," I breathed as I tried to reset my body into a comfortable position.

"We're almost there sweetheart, you're doing so well," my dad praised.

Each broken white line in the middle of the road seemed to grow longer and longer as we drew closer to the airport. The journey already felt so long and it hadn't even started yet. I closed my eyes in hopes that it would somehow make the drive go faster. it didn't help...

After what seemed like hours, the car finally came to a halt.

"There should be some staff waiting with a wheelchair," my dad said, slightly distracted as his eyes raked across the entrance of the airport. "Ah, there they are. Harry, do you want to go get it?"

"Sure, I'll be back in a minute," he said as he jumped out of the car.

While we waited, Brooklyn and my dad unloaded all of the luggage from the boot of the car onto a trolley. I remained in the front seat, twiddling my thumbs. The only thought going through my head was I hate this. I was bloody useless and I fucking hated it.