chapter forty seven

Song: Eye of the Tiger, Survivor 

Frankie Doyle

March

I was so fucking excited.

The adrenaline rushing through my veins felt different than it ever had before.

This was it. The final race of the season. My first full season as a V8 driver and I was at the top of the table.

I had won almost every single race this season, putting me in the lead with a decent gap between the other competitors.

Harry, Benji and Payne had been battling it out for second, third and forth for most of the season with Harry currently in second on the scoreboard, Payne in third and Benji in forth.

Benji would've been in third, but he's been having issues with the gears slipping in the middle of the race, sending him back a few places. Luckily he had a pretty good first half of the season so it didn't shake his score too much.

The only way that I wouldn't come out on top is if I didn't complete this final race and Harry came first, but even then, I was still guaranteed second place.

Is it bad to say that I felt really proud of myself?

Since I was a little girl, all I wanted was to race in competitions like this. I wanted to show everyone that skill wasn't, nor has it ever been based on gender. Now, I had a real chance to prove it.

It felt like I was finally showing all those people that looked down on me, all the girls at school who made fun of me, everyone who never believed in me, that I'm fucking good at what I do.

Everyone who I loved had come to watch the race today and that meant everything to me.

It wasn't in Auckland, so knowing that people loved me enough to fly down and watch me race almost brought me to tears.

There was something about knowing that your family and friends were in the crowd, cheering each time you drove past them, that made me even more determined to come out on top in this race.

I hadn't had a perfect season, and I know that I could still take out this championship even without winning this race. But something inside me told me I didn't have a choice, I didn't just want to win this final race, I needed to.

I took in a deep breath as I pulled on my race suit for the last time for the next little while. I felt my chest tighten as I caught a glimpse of my name on the back of my suit in the mirror

Frankie Eloise Doyle.

I wanted my mum so badly to be on the sidelines today, cheering me on. Even when things were strained between us, I knew that she always wanted me to succeed, to be the best person that I could be, what ever that may have looked like.

I knew she was with me now though. Instead of being on the sidelines with the rest of the people who loved me, she was in the car, right next to me, keeping me safe.

A short knock on the door brought me from my thoughts.

I quickly wiped the few stray tears that had managed to escape from my eyes as I called that the door was unlocked.

Standing in front of me, I was confronted by my biggest competition. The person who drove me to be the best driver I could and the person who lit the fire of determination behind my eyes. He also happened to be the person I loved the most in this world.

"You ready, Sunshine?" He asked, his face falling when he registered the emotion on my own.

I took a deep breath, nodding as I did so.