Five guards bearing the crest of the governor, a green tree heavy with fruit, greeted us at the bank of the sea, bowing low before Prince Solas. In the distance, the island glimmered in the afternoon light. Three of the guards escorted us onto a large sailboat, but the Prince did not follow.

"Will you not come with us at least to the island?" I asked, once more trying to convince the Prince.

"Do not worry, Thea, I promise we will be together on our wedding day." Noting my sadness, the Prince reached into his pocket. "Here. Let this be a reminder of all that is to come." He handed me his amulet, the side with the roaring lion facing up. I ran my thumb along the grooves, remembering the first time I held it. Then, I had been blind and had to put faith in someone I could not see. Now, I could see, but had to put faith in the invisible promises of the man in front of me.

Tears welled in my eyes as I nodded, grasping the amulet tightly in my fist. The guards raised the sails, and we took off, me keeping my eyes on the Prince even after his form faded from sight. Devin, Shay, and Gabriel left me alone for the forty minute ride, allowing me to rest in the promises my Prince had made to me.

Docking, the guards escorted us through the gates of the city. We walked quickly, as if the guards wanted to be done with their task, though their actions roused my suspicions.

The island city seemed nice enough. The streets were cobbled, and the wooden houses were brightly painted and obviously cared for. A park with a man-made pond and plenty of open green grass stood to my right. Children played in the field, and a parent was showing his daughter how to fish. It amused me that an island surrounded by water would want to make a spot for more, but I was also aware of how much it cost to keep up such an area, particularly when there were towns with food shortages. I made a mental note to ask the governor about that.

We entered another set of gates into the castle grounds, making a sharp left. Here, the houses were bigger and grander, being made from brick. With the weather being warmer, plants still grew, and gardens and flowers adorned the fronts of the houses. We came to a stop in front of a red brick house with blue flowers.

"This is where you will be staying," one of the guards said. "Please take the rest of the afternoon to unpack and relax. We will be back around dinnertime to bring you to the castle to eat with his grace." His grace? Did they mean the governor? Before I could ask, the guards were off, leaving me with a frown. I found similar expressions on my companions' faces. I had always heard stories about how poorly the governor treated others, and he certainly never sent aid when Tosach was in need, but to call the governor "his grace" made it seem like he was the ruler rather than an overseer.

My thoughts were interrupted by Mom opening the door to the house next to ours as she came running out, arms spread wide.

Dismounting, I opened my arms as she crushed me in a hug, rocking me back and forth.

"Thea! I am so glad that you are okay," she said, squeezing me until I thought I would burst. Shoot, she was strong, especially for being a head shorter than me.

"Mom. Can't. Breathe." Devin came over, allowing Mom to use her sturdy muscular hug on him. Taking a breath, I looked Mom over, noting her nicely woven clothing and combed hair. It appeared the governor was treating her well. I frowned, however, at her sallow skin, and though it was hard to tell with all of the layers she had on, it appeared she had lost weight.

"What do you have to frown about, Thea? It is most unbecoming," Mom said, interrupting my thoughts.

"Mom, how are you being treated here? Is the governor-"

"Don't worry about me. I want to hear about what has happened to you." She turned to Devin. "You as well. It's been ages since I've laid eyes on you. How strong you look! Of course, Shay and your friend are welcome, too."

Redeemedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें