The moment she sees me, Emily abandons Haden’s side and embraces me. I hug her tight, relieved to be back.

               “I’m so glad you’re alright, Jessy. I was so worried when I got your call last night,” she murmurs against my hair.

               “Okay, Emily. Try not to suffocate the girl, will you?” Alex teases. Emily reddens and steps back, shooting me a brilliant smile before returning to Haden’s side, and continuing her work.

               “Hey,” I murmur quietly to the guys.

               “What brings you up here?” Haden asks nonchalantly, obviously trying to cover up the fact that he’s in intense pain.

               “Haden, what happened to you?” I ask, ignoring his question.

               “I’m alright. Don’t worry,” he reassures, smiling slightly.

               “But what happened? How did you get so hurt?” I repeat, walking towards the bed.

Alex and Haden exchange a look before Haden dismisses Emily. She walks out of the room gracefully, closing the door behind her.

               “Sit, kiddo,” Haden murmurs.

I take a seat on one of the couches and wait eagerly for my answers.

               “Are you alright?” he asks after a few moments.

               “I am! But you aren’t!” I mutter crossly.

               “Before I tell you what happened and try to explain all of this...nonsensical things...I want to know about you. I want to know every single thing the Daniels’ did to you,” he murmurs, his voice laced with anger.

               “Nothing much,” I mumble, staring down at my feet.

Alex approaches me, running his thumb against the cut on my cheek. “Please Jess?” he whispers.

               “I...I’m just too sensitive sometimes,” I whisper back.

               “Jess, don’t blame anything on yourself, please! It was all my fault! I thought I was doing the best thing by sending you there. I didn’t realise you would suffer,” Haden murmurs, his face full of regret.

               “Speaking of that, why did you send me there, Haden? We both know they aren’t my family. So why did you lie to me? Is it because you don’t want to take care of me anymore?” I ask, trying my hardest to keep control of my voice.

               “No! Of course not! I’m so sorry if it seemed that way to you. I thought that if I told you that they were your family, you would...I don’t know what I was thinking,” Haden confesses after a moment, his face falling.

               “Mr. Daniels said that he was to make sure Carter didn’t come within 100 feet or something of me. I don’t understand!” I admit, frustrated.

               “I’m sorry. But you wouldn’t believe me anyway,” Haden murmurs, closing his eyes.

               “You guys always do this! You make it seem as if you’re finally going to give me answers, then you just say that I wouldn’t understand or that I’m too young or that I wouldn’t believe you. To tell you the truth, I’m sick and tired of it! I’ve had to deal with the loss of my entire family and everyone I’ve ever cared for. I’ve had to move school eight times already! I never get to make friends because we always leave before anything happens! I’ve never dated because you guys won’t let me. I had to leave you and live with an abusive family just because you thought it was best. I had to deal with being hit and nearly raped. And now you can’t so much as tell me why I’ve had to deal with all of that?!” I demand, outraged.

Haden’s eyes remained closed, but Alex walks up to me and pulls me into a warm embrace. “I’m so sorry! I’ll tell you everything,” he murmurs, causing Haden’s eyes to shoot open.

               “No! I’ll be the one to tell you,” Haden murmurs, disapproval clearly on his face. “Help me up, will you Alex,” he murmurs softly, straining himself to get up.

Alex hurries over to his side and after a couple of moans and groans from Haden, he’s up right. I walk over to him and lift his shirt slightly to see it heavily bandaged. I trace my fingers against the outlines of a red stained mark on the bandage.

               “It doesn’t hurt that much. Don’t worry,” Haden murmurs, staring down at me, smiling slightly.

I nod my head and follow the boys down the stairs and into the study. Matt takes one look at the three of us and he turns the television off, deciding to join us.

Once we’re comfortably seated in Haden’s study, I round on them again.

               “Okay, tell me everything,” I command.

Haden takes a deep breath, his eyes boring into mine, then he begins his tale.