23

Actually we would be in Dubai now, but we have decided to stay in Australia for the last week. Kate feels comfortable here and I also like being able to stay with my family for a week longer. We have a long flight for that. Today we go to work with my sister. She works as a pediatrician with seriously ill children. We agreed to make it a fun day for the kids.

The three of us are in the car. On the way to the hospital. Josh has grandpa and grandma day today. “If you like it, you can go into the playroom with the children who are allowed to get out of bed”. Hannah begins to explain to us what to expect from the day. “There you can dance and sing with the children and I also let you play around with paint. The most important thing is that the children have a nice day.” We're really looking forward to it. “We will make sure that the kids will have an unforgettable day.” I assure her. “There will also be children who cannot get out of bed because of their illness. You can also visit most of these children. Have a chat with them or, if the children feel like it, play a game. And don't forget it all sounds fu, but you will also see less beautiful things. You may not be able to see that some children are sick. For others it will be very clear. I also want to warn you that you may be told stories that will be tough, but would like to ask you to listen to the children if they want to tell their story.” We are certainly aware of that. We know that Hannah works with seriously ill children. “We certainly realize that. No matter how hard it might get. I will listen to every child”. Kate tsays. After an hour we drive into the parking lot of the hospital.

We've been in the hospital for a while now. It's nice to see the kids enjoying themselves. For them to forget why they are here. I enjoy how Kate interacts with the children. I know how she interacts with Josh, of course, but she's also doing great with these kids. She makes time for every child and if a child is having a hard time, she comforts it. It's a tough and emotional day, especially when we have to say goodbye to the kids, but it's a beautiful day that will stay in my mind forever.

We are on our way to the car. “Would you like to take a look at the maternity ward?”. Hannah asks us. “What do you think yourself Han?”. I say. So now we're going the other way. “I just heard that one should have the bottle. Will any of you give it?" I look at Kate. “Will you do that, honey?”. She shakes her head. “You do it babe. I do enjoy the view.” I give her a kiss and then walk with Hannah. I am wearing protective clothing. It's a shame that I can only go in on my own, but of course I understand. I see for a moment that Kate and my sister can see through the window, but otherwise I only have eyes for that little baby in my arms. It's a wonderful feeling. When I come back I get a big kiss and I see a sparkle in Kate's eyes. Now it really is time to go home. During the car ride, Kate is silent. I decide not to say anything. It will be today's impressions. She also doesn't say much during dinner and mainly plays with her food. So she doesn't eat much.

After dinner we put on our bikinis for a swim. I'm a bit faster and I've been in the pool for a while. When Kate comes she does not go into the water, but sits on the edge of the pool with her feet in the water. She stares out ahead of her. She looks happy. I can't understand why she's been so quiet all the time. Now is the time to ask what's going on. I swim towards her and climb onto the edge next to her. "Is everything okay honey?" She is startled out of her thoughts. "I've never felt so good." I'm a little surprised when she says that. "Then why are you so quiet?" I ask. “After today, something has become very clear to me, but I don't really know how to say it”. I hold hands. "Honey, you know you can always tell me anything." She thinks for a moment. “Would you mind if we don't travel next year?”. I don't quite understand her. “I always thought you would like that. But if you don't want that, I don't mind." I see a sparkle in her eyes. "It's not that I don't want to travel, but I don't think it's very convenient with a baby." I look deep into her eyes. "Are you really serious?" She knows about my wish to have an little brother or sister for Josh. Kate has always indicated that she would like to, but only in a few years. What I also understand she is of course a bit younger and a baby is very different from a toddler. I've never had a problem with that. “I know I said at the beginning that I wanted to wait a few more years. It's been in my mind for a few months now and when I saw you like this today I knew for sure. I don't want to wait anymore. If we are allowed, I want a little brother or sister for Josh as soon as possible”. I drop into the water and pull Kate with me. We make out for minutes. "I love you so much and you make me so happy." I find the time to tell her that and our lips meet again soon.

We enjoyed ourselves in the pool for a while and now we are in bed together. There Kate shows me that she is really serious. She's been figuring out the options we have for a while now. I give her a kiss. And tell her I do have a quick option. That I may already have a donor if she likes it too. That it's an old friend of mine and I've discussed it with him before. That if I hadn't met Kate, I probably would have only made an effort to get a second one. That he offered himself as a donor. He himself has no desire to have children, but would like to help me with my wish. And that he also refrains from everything else, but if the child ever wanted to know who his or her father would be, he doesn't mind that. I have always kept in touch with him. I tell Kate that if she likes that we can always give him a call, when she's ready. She says she would like to call him now. That a call is nothing definite yet. She does have a point there. I decide to text him to ask if he has time. Fortunately, I get a message back fairly quickly that he has all the time. So we call him. It's a little weird at first. Especially for Kate who is now talking to a wild stranger about something very personal. After a while the conversation flows smoothly and all three of us are open and honest with each other. After three hours we stop the conversation and agree that when we are back in the country we will come by soon.

It's the middle of the night and it's time to board the plane. Saying goodbye to my family was hard, but luckily we know that we will see each other again next year. When we've been in the air for a while, I notice that Josh and everyone else is asleep. For me, the sign to go to the toilet. When I'm in the toilet I wait a while and then I send Kate a message.

-Honey, didn’t you have to go to the toilet too?-

It takes a while and then I get a message back.

-No, I was just before departure. For the next few hours I don't have to-

Almost immediately after that I hear her softly calling my name on the other side of the door. I open the door and pull her in. I push her against the wall and lock the door. I try not to wake up the whole plane. When we step outside we almost run into a flight attendant. Luckily she doesn't say anything, just smiles kindly at us. Fortunately, the rest of the plane is still asleep. When we're back in place, we'll put a movie on it. After half an hour the flight attendant comes walking towards us. She puts two glasses of champagne in front of us. “Here ladies, because you are enjoying the flight so much. And just to reassure you the rest of the plane was asleep.” She gives us a wink and leaves. We both blush hard The rest of the journey goes smoothly. We watch some movies and sleep in between.