16

It's the day I'm going to meet Kate's mother. Haven't had any problems with it all day, but it's now half an hour before she comes and I starting to get nervous. I just finished a conversation and now have nothing until the conversation with her. It is also the last conversation. To get rid of my nerves, I call my sister. It is there still in the middle of the night, but luckily she answers. I haven't spoken to her all week, so I catch up with her right away about last weekend. Hannah says she can hear how happy I am. And she's not wrong about that. She gives me confidence that the conversation will be fine, as long as I am myself, it will be all right. The conversation does me good. Time flies and we have to finish the call.

Now it is really time to pick up Kate's mother. I can see right away who I need. Kate looks exactly like her mother. I take her to my classroom and meanwhile we introduce each other. I'm still a little nervous, but try to stay as calm as possible. Fortunately, the conversation runs smoothly, so the nerves immediately disappear. I keep my promise to Kate. I tell her mother how proud I am of her daughter. That she works hard, behaves nicely inside and outside the class. And go through the grades, which are all top. I get really warm inside to be able to talk about Kate like this. I try not to blush, but can't say for sure whether it worked. It's nice to be able to tell her mother all this. We also discuss how things are going with Kate at home. Of course I already know that, but of course I can't say that. Her mother also likes that I trust Kate so well that I let her babysit Josh. She met Josh once, when Kate looked after him on a Saturday. Kate took him to her house for a while. We talk a little bit about Josh. Her mother seems genuinely interested. Completely unexpectedly, her mother now asks if I knew that Kate has a girlfriend. I'm a bit confused and don't know how to respond. I hope she doesn't realize that. I quickly look for an answer. I tell her I can see she looks happier the latter. She agrees and adds that she must be a very nice and good person. I'm just saying it looks like that. Fortunately, I manage to turn to another topic and finish the conversation.

When I'm alone again I can't resist and send Kate a message.

-What a nice mother you have. Almost as nice as her daughter. Hopefully I left a good impression. X.-

After she turned in her phone to me, we never sent each other anything again. We are far too afraid that someone will accidentally read it. But I had to let her know right away.

-How much nerves had you? And I be sure that you left a good impression. How can anyone not like you. I be sure to find out when she gets home. xxx.-

She should have known how bad the nerves were. I'm glad it's behind me.

-You are sweet. X.-

It's a tiring day, so now go home. When I get home I see a message from Kate.

-She things you are nice. So you did well. X.-

I want nothing more than to have her with me now.

-Fancy heading this way now? I know that we weren't supposed to see each other until tomorrow, but I would like you with me now. If you want it too, I'd like to introduce you to someone.-

-Stupid question! Finish my conversation with my mother and I'll be there as soon as possible. xxx. Who do you want to introduce?-

- See you soon. Can't wait to have you with me. And I'll say that when you're here. xxx.-

I grab my laptop and skype Hannah. She picks up quickly. She hasn't gone to sleep since our last conversation. I feel a little guilty, but make her very happy when I say I want to introduce her to Kate. During our conversation I make it a bit cozy in the house and in between I have to put Josh back to bed. He's been a little restless lately. I’m busy lighting candles when the doorbell rings. I light the last candles and tell Hannah I'm going to open the door. I greet Kate by pressing her firmly against me and giving her a kiss. How happy I am with her. “So glad to have you with me again. We must be a little quiet. I just finally got Josh back in bed. If he hears you, he'll be down in no time. Come I will introduce you to someone”. I take Kate's hand and take her to the living room. She looks around a bit surprised and then sees the laptop on the table. “I would like to introduce you to my sister. She has heard a lot about you and is very curious about you. I hope you don't mind. I know you want to introduce me to your mother too, but you can't. So if you don't want this, just say so." I tell her a little unsure. This is a thing though. My sister means everything to me. And we both know that when we introduce someone to each other, we really love someone. “It is an honor for me. I know how important your sister is to you. So yes. I'd like you to introduce me to your sister. And one thing. If I don't like her, all I have to do is walk out of sight." Kate gives me a wink and I give her a big smile. “Thank you, this means a lot to me”.