12

I didn't sleep last night. It's 2:30 in the morning and I'm already at school. The fourth year students are coming soon. We are going to England for a week and this year I will be there. I find it quite exciting to spend a week on a roadtrip with the students and especially with Kate. I have visited her at work more often lately and not much has changed in the first five weeks of school. It was actually the intention to forget each other a bit, but I think we have grown even closer to each other.

It's time to leave. I look for a place in the bus and I notice that Kate is sitting alone in the back. With my eyes I ask her if I can sit next to her. She nods and then sits down next to her. "What are you listening?". I ask as soon as she takes her earplugs out of her ears. "A book. Do you want to listen in?". I nod and then she gently tucks one of her earphones into my ear. She then lowers her hand and strokes my face. I grab her hand so I can hold her hand against my cheek a little longer. Then I put our hands down and don't let go of her hand. We look at each other for a moment and know that no words are needed now. We listen in silence to the reader. Finally I fall asleep. I dream about Kate and me. In my dream we are further than what would ever come of it in real life. Our lips touch and our hands explore each other's bodies. I wake up when I hear someone whisper sweetly in my ear. "Beth sleeping beauty you have to wake up we are at the boat". I’m sure it's Kate. That way she can wake me up more often. That thought and her face bring a smile to my face. “Thanks for waking me up. Didn't know I was so deep in dreamland." Kate has a sweet smile on her face. "I hope it was a beautiful dream." Pfff she should have known. I feel warm at the thought of returning to the dream. I'll leave the answer as "Yeah". Hard to tell her what the dream was about. Luckily she doesn't go into it any further.

We are now on the boat. I discuss a few things with my colleagues and then go and see the students. This will be a quiet boat trip. Everyone is sleeping. My colleagues follow the example of the students. I walk outside and see Kat standing at the railing. It's a nice view. Kate at the railing staring over the water and the wind blowing through her hair. I walk over to her to make sure everything is okay. She doesn't seem to notice I'm coming. Carefully I stand next to her and gently stroke her arm. Don't want to scare her. "Should you not be asleep?". She shakes her head. “Am wide awake. I wanted to get some fresh air alone." So she wants to be alone and is not waiting for me. "Okay then I'll go ahead and leave you alone." Before I can walk away she puts her hand on mine. “Please stay. I do enjoy it.” The way she says that and that hand on mine gives me a happy feeling. I lay my head on her shoulder. Judging by her reaction, she doesn't mind. She lays her head gently against mine. Words are not necessary now. We both stare over the water. Both with our own thoughts. How I wish I could look inside her head right now. Will she be as happy as me right now? Also feel the butterflies throughout her body. How I can get used to these moments. Wish it could always be this way, but I'm already happy with the moments we've been given. I'm startled when a door opens up. We quickly move away from each other.

“Are you coming in? It's time to look for the buses." It's a colleague. "Yes we are coming Joe". He walks right back inside. “So that time has passed quickly.” Kate says it and we look each other deep in the eyes again. "Much too fast. Loved every second.” I gently stroke her arm an the walk to the door, when I look back Kate is still there. "Kate, come, otherwise we'll have to walk". Then she comes in too. We find our place in the bus again and I enjoy that happy feeling for a while.

We arrived at the hostel. We have agreed that Joe will do the check-in us and that I and the rest of the colleagues make sure that everything is taken from the buses. I expected that when we were done with that, the check-in had already been arranged. But I still see Joe standing at the front desk. "Liesbeth can you come over for a moment?". Joe asks me. Judging by his voice, something isn't right.