18

Kate would actually be here right now. It is Christmas Day and the planning was that we would be together for Christmas. Kate has understandably chosen to stay with her mother after what happened. I make myself a hot chocolate and settle down on the couch with Josh and Snowball. I grab the laptop and see if Hannah has time. Luckily she's there. It's still nice to be able to chat with your sister, even if she is on the other side of the world. I've been chatting with my sister for a while when my phone rings. It's a message from Kate.

-Babe-

We only message each other if there is something wrong, so I respond immediately.

-What is going on?-

My sister can see it right on my face. I tell her there's something, but I don't know what yet. I wait anxiously.

-I don't really know how to say this-

-Just say it. If you already send me a message it must be important. X-

-Well then I'll just say it. My mother would like you to come here to celebrate Christmas-

-?-

-Yeah, that was my reaction too. She found out and I couldn't deny it anymore-

It scares me a bit, but I also feel relief. I discuss it with my sister. When I get another message, I know I forgot to respond out of shock.

-Babe please say what-

- I'm sorry I have to process this. Give me a moment. How did she react?-

- Well, I think. She wants to talk about it and make it nice days. I'll leave you alone for now. Take the time you need. X-

Her response is positive. With my sister I share my relief and also my worries. What should I do now. I'm glad Kate no longer has to keep things quiet at home, but does this also mean the end of our relationship? My sister convinces me to go. That's the only way to find out. And also clearly states that I can't drop Kate now and I completely agree with that.

I quickly change Josh and myself. Luckily I get some help from my sister. I can't decide for myself what to wear. I finish the conversation and then send Kate a message.

-We're getting in the car now. See you soon honey. X-

We get in the car and before I drive away I read that I make her very happy with this. The nerves are screaming through my body the entire ride, but it also feels good. Especially when I look in the back seat. Josh sits there with a big smile, happy to see Kate again.

I stand at the front door and ring the bell. I wait to see who will open it. Luckily it's Kate. Josh is too quick for me and gives Kate a hug. Then Kate hugs me. "I love you". She whispers in my ear. It's the first time she's used those words. I can only answer her with a kiss. She should be able to tell what it means to me that she said that. “Do you know how happy you make me by saying that. Honey I also love you very much.” I give her another kiss and then look at Josh. Only now do I realize that he hasn't seen Kate and I kiss before. I've always been careful with that, because I didn't know how he would react to that. Looks like he has no problem with it. Kate takes a hand from Josh and me and takes us further inside.

The nerves are running through my body again when we get to her mother. “Mom may I introduce you to my girlfriend and her son. This are Liesbeth and Josh. And Liesbeth and Josh this is my mother, Julia”. Kate introduces us to each other. Which of course is not really necessary, because we already know each other and she has already seen Josh once. But this is different. I anxiously await the response. “Finally I can really meet the woman who makes my daughter so happy. Feel welcome. And Josh it's nice to see you again. I heard you really like coloring. I put some things there for you. Can you have some fun there? Then we go to the kitchen. It is in there”. Josh looks happy and immediately walks to the coloring books and immediately starts coloring. “Okay miss. Thank you". The three of us go to the kitchen. “Not to depress the atmosphere, but to take the tension off, we'll just sit down and discuss this. Would you like some wine?”. Phew the first response sounds good. We sit down at the kitchen table. Kate's mother is sitting opposite Kate and me. Our hands still together. "Thanks for the invitation ma'am." I initiate the conversation. “I understand if you disapprove of this relationship. I know I am its forbidden. For a long time I tried to hold back the feeling. But I can't resist your daughter from the first moment I saw her. I love her and I would do anything for her.” Kate looks me in the eye with love.