4

Fortunately I was able to avoid Kate yesterday. I have to try to get some distance. Today my mentor group has English again. As soon as I see Kate walk in, I immediately get an warm feeling inside. And my intention to distance meself faild. “Kate, have you finished your work?”. She nods and wants to grab something from her bag. "Great, you can hand it in to me after class." She sighs, but then I see a small smile appear on her face and then she sits down in her place. In this lesson I am talking a lot to explain a few things. It was a welcome distraction to not think about after class. Fortunately, it is a nice group and everyone pays attention in silence. I notice that Kate is staring at me again. She looks at me differently than the rest of the class. I can't help but linger in her eyes every now and then. She makes me feel good and it doesn't distract me from the explanation I'm giving.

It's the end of class. Fortunately, the last person to leave closes the door behind them. I walk to a table and sit on it. “Come and sit down. I'm curious what you made of it." As I say that, I tap the table next to me. She stands up a bit hesitant. "I do not bite". A small smile now appears at Kate’s face and she decides to sit next to me after all. She hands me the paper. “I just made it into a kind of letter. I found that easier to write.” I start reading right away, curious about what's in it.

Dear Miss Smith,

Hi, let me introduce myself. Well I am Kate, I am just 17 and I am in my third year. I am a late student and had to do it for a year. Live with my mother in a small quiet village. Haven't seen my father in 12 years. He left overnight and never came back. I spend the hours that I am not bussy with school at work. I work at the library's coffee corner, in the city not far from my house. So not really exciting life. Just as exciting as my love life. Because there is not. I have not had so many boyfriends and if I had then it never took very long. Boys may not interest me that much yet. Like I said, my life is not that exciting.

Love Kate Wilson

I'm surprised with what's in it. I didn't expect her to be fairly open with me. Especially not about her love life. I give her a little push with my shoulder against hers. "How can a cute girl like you not have a boyfriend?" Only then do I see how she closed the letter. It makes me blush a little. Hopefully she doesn't get that. "I do not know. I don't like any boy." Maybe very wrong, but I'm happy with that answer. "I'm sure you'll find someone." She shrugs. “I'm in no rush. I can say the same to you.” I look at her in surprise when she says that. "What do you mean?". “Well you also said you don't have a boyfriend. How can such a beautiful woman have no one?” I'm a little confused, but it works for me. I didn't expect her to say that. I don't think she either. " I haven't managed to cath the right person yet and have my hands full with my son". “How old is Josh?”. It make me happy to hear that she remembered Josh's name. “He is 4 and a real busy boy”. I say proudly. "I can see how proud you are of him." “Yes, I am sure. He means the world to me.” Kate gives me a sweet smile. "What about his father?”. Should she really start talking about him now? "Sorry. It’s none of my business. I shouldn't have asked you." Shit I think she can read it off my face. “No it doesn't matter. It's just something I'd rather not think about. He doesn't exist for me." Kate looks at me concerned. “And Josh? Does he ever see his father?” I shake my head. I'm surprised I allow myself to talk to her about him. Although I don't say too much about it. I normally totally shut down when he comes up. “No, he doesn't know who his father is. What about yours? Do you miss your father?”. Kate shrugs. "Not really. Sometimes I miss a father figure, but not necessarily him. He has chosen to leave, so let him stay away." "Do you know why he left?" She shakes her head. “No and I don't care. My mom and I are just fine." When I look at my watch, I'm surprised to see what time it is. "Oops, it's so late. The break is almost over. Sorry you've taken all your break time." I say and Kate gets that sweet smile on her face again. "Oh don't worry. I thought it was a pleasant interpretation of my break". It does me good when Kate says this.I totally agree by the way. When getting up I accidentally touch her arm. I see that it makes her blush and that also gives me a reason to blush. Luckily she doesn't look at me, so she doesn't see that. " See you the next lesson." Says Kate and does not know how quickly she has to leave the classroom. I Sit in thoughts for a while and read the letter a few more times. I wonder if she I want to make something clear with it.