Chapter 41

The officers dissolve, walking out of the conference room doors after Leia had dismissed them the think about your words.

A familiar circle of faces remain at the table, waiting for more information.

After the last of the lower ranking officers disappear through the doors, all eyes turn back towards you.

"Well," You say calmly.

"Is there anything else?" Leia presses.

"I mean, I was able to establish a strong connection with Kylo Ren throughout my time with the First Order, I think that this proposition is genuine," You tell them.

"Y/N, are you sure?" Poe asks delicately.

You furrow your eyebrows toward him, understanding his insinuation.

"If you are trying to suggest that my previous affiliations with Ben Solo could be corrupting my perspective on this situation, Dameron, you are sorely mistaken. I approached the mission knowing full aware what I was getting myself into."

He averts his eyes towards the table, ignoring you.

"Ben Solo is dead, he has been for a long time. I am fully aware of the details of my involvement with Kylo Ren, and I entered the situation with such knowledge," You tell the group seriously.

You inhale sharply, reminding yourself that you are no longer in front of First Order officers, these are your friends, people you grew up with.

Their warm presences have long been replaced by hollow faces.

You shouldn't be addressing them like this, and yet, you have no desire to stop.

Han is the first to break the silence, with a full-hearted chuckle.

The room turns to look at him.

"You talk like them," He breaks the silence. "Like the First Order."

You roll your eyes and smirk at him casually, "Sorry, I guess I picked up some of their jargon and tones. I might be adjusting for a bit."

"Why didn't Kylo come to us himself?" Leia asks seriously.

Your gut wrenches with anger hearing this statement.

You look at her with a tense gaze, "Why do you think?"

She matches your tension and furrows her eyebrows.

"You didn't disclose our base location?" Finn asks curiously, saving the room.

You shake your head and grin.

"How'd you manage that?" Poe chimes daringly.

You roll your eyes, "I feel underestimated."

The group all give small laughs, becoming more comfortable.

"Okay, so what have I missed here?" You change the subject.

A chorus of sighs begin.

"Well, I was training on Ahch-To for a while, I only got back a week ago," Rey explains.

"Oh right! Where's Luke?" You question animatedly.

She looks sadly at the table, avoiding eye contact.

"He's fine, he just didn't want to come back," She continues. "He said that he needs to save his strength."

You look around the room in confusion.

"Save his strength for what?" You ask with concern.

"He said the name, and I didn't make sense of it until you told me about Kylo's accomplice," Rey says cautiously. "He said he needed to confront Palpatine for the final time."