42_ my love

Winter break ended over a week ago, which meant the students were back at Hogwarts.

And it didn't take long for Umbridge to make more arrangements with new Professors.

Hagrid, unsurprisingly, was on probation after his last evaluation during the thestral lesson.

Draco was thrilled about this, of course.

Professor Trelawney had even been forced to leave, but Dumbledore stepped in and said she could at least stay.

In her place was a centaur from the Forbidden Forest.

Ed and her friends also happened to have his class that day.

When they walked in, they were surprised by the moss-covered floor and a room that resembled the forest.

"This is amazing!" Ed said in awe.

"Looks like he'll be better than Trelawney, after all," Malorie commented.

"My name is Firenze," the centaur started.

"Professor Dumbledore has kindly arranged this classroom for us."

Once everyone was there, he dimmed the lights, making stars visible on the ceiling.

"Whoa," people murmured.

"Lie back upon the floor," Firenze instructed in a calm voice.

"...And observe the heavens. Here is written, for those who can see, the fortune of our races."

"I know that you have learned the names of the planets and their moons in Astronomy, and that you have eled the mysteries of these movements over centuries. Our findings teach us that the future may be glimpsed in the sky above us."

"Ooo! That there says he will leave her and find interest in me instead," Pansy blurted out excitedly as she shot Ed a look.

Ed rolled her eyes, knowing exactly what she was talking about.

"That is human nonsense. It has absolutely no significance on the wide universe and are unaffected by planetary movements," Firenze stated.

Ed and Draco snickered at how he proved Pansy wrong.

"Sibyll Trelawney wastes her time on what humans call fortune-telling. I, however, am here to share the wisdom of centaurs. We watch the skies for great tides of evil or chance. It may take ten years to be sure of what we are seeing."

"In the last decade, the indications have been that Wizard-kind of living through a brief calm between two wars. Mars shines brightly above us, suggesting a fight must break out soon. How soon, centaurs may attempt to divine by the burning of certain herbs."

That being said, they burned sage and mallowsweet on the ground for the rest of the class period, looking for shapes and symbols.

"I can't seem to see anything, am I doing something wrong?" Ed raised her hand.

She was truly intrigued in this subject, and wanted to know how to read the future.

"I am not concerned that you don't see anything," Firenze said as he galloped over.

"Humans are hardly ever good at this. It takes years for centaurs to become competent," he explained.

"Oh," said Ed.

"But don't worry, I see much talent in you already, Miss Koldings."

Ed thanked him and smiled at this, wondering just what exactly her potential could be.