39_ umbridge in charge

"Ministry Seeks Educational Reform Delores Umbridge Appointed First Ever 'High Inquisitor,'" Ed read from the Daily Prophet.

"What's this rubbish supposed to mean?" She asked.

"No idea," Malorie responded as she took a bite of her toast.

"It means Father's been able to convince the Ministry that Hogwarts needs reformations," Malfoy, who sat on the other side of Ed, boasted.

"Umbridge is in charge of all the teachers now. Hopefully Hagrid is the first to go. You know, he's been dealing with some... beasts that are better off leaving alone. Not exactly the best example to set," he explained.

"What kind of beasts?" Ed asked.

"I heard he's been with Giants, then again, he's with his own kind now."

Ed couldn't really argue. She had nearly been injured multiple times by blast ended skrewts last year, and didn't want that to happen again if he came back.

"Isn't Dumbledore supposed to be in charge though?" Malorie asked.

"I hope not," Malfoy mumbled.

Ed shot him a look.

"I mean, he's not even going to be around much longer, is he?"

"He's got to be at least 100 by now," Malorie laughed.

"That's an understatement," Ed added, laughing along.

Although he didn't say anything, Draco loved the way Ed smiled, and couldn't help but smile at the fact that she was finally his.

_______________

Sure enough, there were plenty of changes around Hogwarts, starting with Umbridge monitoring all of the classes.

And she made sure to check on fifth-year Potions.

"I have awarded you the grades you would have received if you presented this work in your O.W.L," said Professor Snape.

"This should give you a realistic idea of what to expect in your examination," he added.

"Most of you would have failed had this been your final examination. I expect to see a great deal more effort, or I shall have to start handing out detentions to those dunces who got D's."

"Some people got D's? Ha!" Said Malfoy loudly.

"What did you guys get?" Ed asked her friends at their table.

"I got an E," Malorie responded.

"Me too," said Lance.

"I was surprised, I didn't even study or anything," he added.

"That's pretty good," Ed commented.

"You got an O, didn't you, Ed?" Malorie asked, not fooled at all.

"Yeah," said Ed humbly.

Malfoy, on the other hand, loved to brag.

"I got an O, too, of course. It was almost too easy."

Ed rolled her eyes—he was so annoying sometimes.

The class soon started working on Strengthening Solutions, when Umbridge said something from the corner of the room.

"Hem, hem."

"I have a few questions for you, Severus."

"Go on," he said, clearly irritated.

"You applied first, for Defense Against the Dark Arts, is that correct?" She asked.

"Yes."

"But you were unsuccessful?"