15_ serpensortia

It was somehow already December, which meant the cold winter weather had brought a draft, even into the castle (especially the dungeons).

In fact, Ed wore multiple layers of jackets to double potions one Thursday.

They were working on Swelling Solutions today, and as usual, Professor Snape constantly criticized the Gryffindor's poor potion performance, except for Hermione. He just sneered at her for doing so well.

However, the Slytherins received all his praise, especially Malfoy, who was flicking the eyes of a pufferfish at Harry and Ron because he knew the professor would give them a detention if they did something back.

Ed was also one of the few favorites of the class, mostly because Professor Snape was proud that she was a girl of his house that could out-perform Hermione.

The students continued to make their potions all hour, but all of a sudden, Goyle's erupted.

People screamed, and since Ed was only a couple rows in front of Malfoy and his friends, her, Malorie, and Lance got splattered with the substance.

Malfoy had also gotten the potion on him, on his nose, and Goyle was covering his eyes, which were expanding quickly.

"SILENCE! Anyone who has been splashed, come here for a Deflating Draught," the professor ordered.

About half the class obeyed, and soon everyone limbs, noses, and ears were back to normal.

Professor Snape then walked over to Goyle's cauldron, where he found a freshly used firework.

The whole class went quiet, they already knew they were about to face his fury.

"If I ever find the culprit of who caused this ruckus that person is sure to be expelled immediately."

The bell rang soon after, and many of the students were glad to have escaped the tension that presumed in the room, even if they weren't guilty of anything.

_______________

That night, there was a notice in the Slytherin common room about a dueling club.

"Hey guy, look at this!" Lance called Malorie and Ed over.

"Hmm, a dueling club?" Malorie asked curiously.

"Yeah, I think we should try it, it sounds fun," Lance suggested.

"I don't know..." Ed hesitated. It sounded dangerous, not fun at all. She looked to Malorie for help.

"I agree with Ed, its not like we're going to need to know how to duel anyways," Malorie commented.

"Oh come on, just this once. If you don't like it, then I won't make you come again," Lance negotiated.

"Fine," Malorie agreed.

"But only if you get me pumpkin pasties," she added.

Ed wasn't surprised by this comment, Mal was practically always eating.

"Okay," Lance agreed.

They looked towards Ed now, waiting for her response.

"I guess I have to go, too," she finally gave in.

It would've been boring in the common room without her friends.

Half an hour later, they made their way to the Great Hall, which had been transformed into a dueling arena.

There were also a lot more people there than Ed had expected, so she didn't really regret going.

But to everyone's surprise, Lockhart seemed to be the teacher of the club.