Untangling the Knots

The morning was spent refurbishing the soldiers, especially those wounded, and setting down camp. When we were setting down our own tent, Cu took the hair from the brush, and buried it in a small hole beside the tent. I sat there looking at him questionably, so afterwards, he informed me of his reasoning, saying that I'd killed a piece of him, and it would be dead forever. When I asked what'd happen when the hair grew back, he ignored the question, determined to uphold his dramatic display. As he walked around the camp working, I couldn't keep my eyes off the mess of a ponytail he had on his head. When he caught me staring at his hair, he approached quietly. "Are the snarls very noticeable?"

I mimicked him, leaning close with a soft voice. "Only to anyone who has their eyes open. I guess you're safe from the blind too." The response earned me a flick on the forehead.

"Would you prefer I lie to you?" I asked, rubbing my forehead.

"No, but you could've been less blunt." Cu climbed onto Liath's back.

"If you ask my opinion, I'm going to give it to you straight. No pampering the truth."

He sighed, giving me a hand up on the horse. I suppose that's a trait as admirable as it is annoying."

"Oh, you find me annoying?"

"At times, yes."

"Well then, think you'll be happy to know the feeling is mutual."

Cu chuckled dryly. "I hate you."

"I love you, too." Cu just glanced back at me, a small smile on his lips, but he never gave any remark.

As we moved out, the men became eager to get home. The nearer we came to the city, the higher the men's spirits rose. Even though a few soldiers were giving Cu a wary look at the beginning, as we moved and Cu talked, those same soldiers became the most heavily engaged in the conversation. Cu worked to entertain the men, ignite that fiery spirit again, feeding their egos with the recent victory. By the way he talked, you would never guess that one of closest friends died just the other day.

When we entered the town, the soldiers with their heads held high in triumph. A party began, full of the soldiers, the towns folk, even those of the wounded who could hold a mug of ale, and it all started because of Cu. I looked on from the sidelines as he drove the party, singing with the men, bringing the cheer, a wide smile stretched on his face the entire time. The more I watched, the more concerned I got. Each time that eyes left him, even for a moment, that smile flickered, the movement just small enough it was difficult to catch. But after a while, it became apparent to me. The smile was forced, the cheer not quite sincere. Cu was grieving. At first, I thought he began the party for the men, but now I think it was more a distraction for himself.

In the street, when Cu seemed to not be the center of attention with that messy hair, nonetheless, Cu took the opportunity to snag my arm. He sunk against me as he did so. Looking at him, I couldn't tell how drunk he was, but by that foggy look in his eyes, I could tell it was a different kind of drunk than the other night. "Emiya, Emiya, Emiya," he drawled my name. "Why aren't you celebrating? I don't see you laughing or singing or anything!"

"Does celebrating equivocate to being loud to you? Because if so, then that's why."

"You got to though, you have to celebrate. We won! Should I tell you a secret?"

He waited with wide expectant eyes for me to answer. "Sure, Cu."

Looping his arms around my neck, pulling his mouth to my ear. "We won because of me."

"That is a bit of a egotistical statement, even for you."

Drawing away, he waved a hand in my face. "Well sorta. You see there was this gate there, remember?"