Building up Behind a Mask

I woke to a muffled bang. Head shooting up, I wiped the drool from the corner of my mouth and looked around. The room was still, but there were footsteps down the hall. Someone slamming doors? Dismissing the noise, I looked down at Emiya who was still sound asleep, regardless of the noise. He seemed to have two variations of sleep; either a light footstep would wake him, or he could sleep through a riot. Right now he seemed to be the latter. A soft smile formed on my lips staring down at his sleeping figure. Now I didn't have to worry about chasing him, because I have him right here. I layed back down, resting on his bicep, and closed my eyes, just wanting to enjoy the moment.

The footsteps were now outside Emiya's door, and voices accompanied them. I opened an eye. Was that Cal I heard? "Shit, what time is it?" I was late so often recently, he told me to take this more seriously. Kneeling up in the bed, a rapid knock sounded off. I hopped off the bed, making my way to the door, but Cal didn't wait for it to be opened before he came barging in. When his eyes fell on me, it became quite clear just how pissed he was.

"Setanta, do you really have that little respect for me?"

"Cal--"

"Yesterday, I asked you--" Cal caught sight of the man still sound asleep on the bed. His eyes migrated back to me, his tone low and quiet. "Downstairs. Five minutes." With that he left the room, closing the door softly behind him. I released a heavy sigh, picking up my shirt and hair clip from the floor. Once I was dressed and hair decent, I sat at the edge of the bed staring down at Emiya's sleeping face. It's strange neither of us woke up earlier, considering the fact we went to bed so early. Maybe it was all that anxiety we had before being worked away in our sleep. I stroked the side of Emiya's face then brushed back his banges to lay a soft kiss on his forehead, before I headed downstairs to get yelled at by Cal.

When I walked into the common room, Cal was sitting arms folded, drumming a finger on his arms. He watched me with a frown on his face as I sat down. "Cal," I put my hands up so he'd let me speak. "I realize what I've done is wrong, but to be fair it was an accident."

"Sleeping in this late was an accident? Then maybe you shouldn't stay up so late."

"I'll have you know I was passed out in less than two hours after I left the barracks." He raised an eyebrow. "I swear, Emiya's my witness." I couldn't help a tiny smile.

"If so, what made you sleep for that long? Is training really rough for some reason?"

I laughed. "Goodness no, I think I know why-- Nevermind, that's not important. All I can say is that it won't happen again... probably."

Cal smirked at my flustered sentence, then sighed, "Alright, it better not. I would ask Emiya to make sure you wake up... but he seems to be having the problem you are."

I smiled at the ceiling, "Yeah... but he's typically up before sunrise, so this is strange for him as well."

The man opposite me gave a sigh of disbelief. "I can't believe you're with Emiya."

"Oh? And why not?"

"I just didn't think he was that kind of person."

"What kind of person?"

"The kind to be with you."

"Oi, why does that sound like an insult?"

"It's not, I'm just saying that you go around looking to have a good time, but you hardly ever pursue long. So everyone you end up with has a tendency to be... well... as eager as you, so to speak. I never would have considered Emiya to be like that."