Burdens of the Afterlife: Part 2

The basics of the plan weren't too complex. First I told them it, I went and scouted out the fort myself. After that, I came back and filled them in on the details. Grigory's only job was to get us in, then leave. If he did that and walked away, I would let him live and hold my tongue about his betrayal. Honestly, he played a tough game, but he gave into pressure quite easily.

Grigory could only get us so far. We had a few side glances when he got us in, but no one questioned his authority and rank in the city. Once we entered a hidden safe spot in the building, he left with his mouth shut. From there on out, Alexei and I were left to fend for ourselves. Alexei worked as a distraction, while I progressed our infiltration of the base. We were almost finished, and I could feel something was incredibly wrong. For all the horrible luck I tend to have, this mission has gone incredibly well. Even with all the close calls Alexei ran into, the guards were suspiciously blind.

I could see a door. Just the thick pulsing mana radiating from it told me Rayon was on the other side. Something was very very wrong. I grabbed Alexei's shoulder, giving it a tight squeeze. "Stay out here and hide. I'll take it from here." Alexei had no objections, and did what I asked. Once I was satisfied with Alexei's security, I entered through the doors with the intent to kill.

The moment I entered mana swirled around my feet, and I barely managed to jump out of the way, before it snarred my feet. My landing was far from graceful, but I at least had enough composure to deal with the five soldiers that instantly swarmed me. Through the wave of blood that poured from the soldiers, one man stood out. With a calm smile, he watched me slay his men. His shining blond hair was nearly white, curling slightly at the base of his neck. Dark green eyes contrasted with, and he had gloves to match his eyes, aiding to the conflict in colors. His head was propped up on that gloved hand; relaxed but still intrigued.

Once the five guards were dead, I received a clear view of the room. There was an army supplied in there, and Rayon secured inside the fortress of men. Rayon knew I was coming, and, judging by the supply of men, knew who I was. I began my pursuit towards Rayon, which proved more difficult than I would've liked. The men weren't difficult to take out, it was just the sheer amount of them that made it hard. But finally I was able to get to Rayon, ready to imbed my blade in his heart. There was still that smile on his face, as if he had control over the whole situation. It succeeded in really pissing me off. His heart was in my reach, and that is when he finally decided to speak.

"I suggest you stop, unless you want the boy to die." His words froze me, letting my blade hover above his chest. Kill him, kill him now! I knew what I had to do. It was one life in comparison to thousands, I should do it without second thought. But I did have second thoughts. It was those damn ideals eating their way through me. I profess to give them up, but I know part of me never will. It was a bad idea to bring him, and I knew this would happen. So, with one small movement, I fell straight into the trap I seemed to set for myself. I looked back to see Alexei with a gun to his head. The boy's wide frightened eyes stared back at me.

My hesitation was enough for Rayon's magic to ensnare my body. His slight chuckle was what turned my attention to the mage. "Now, Hero, so much as a word spoken out of turn, and the boy get's a bullet in the head." Those words were spoken far too playful for any sane mind, and I didn't doubt them. "So I suggest you cooperate." I watched him, my face blank and calm as I thought for a solution to this situation.

The guards backed away, distancing themselves from Rayon and I. The man strode around me, examining me from every angle. When he resurfaced in front of me, his small smile had formed into a sly grin. The sight sent a slimy chill down my back. He paused, just looking at me, that horrible smile unwavering. "In all honesty, you look better in person than in the visions."