ELEVEN

* * *

"W-what do you mean?"

"I'm sorry miss Cabello. But your father has passed away. When he didn't report back on schedule, we searched for him and found his remains in Albania. He was killed while chasing a lead on an ongoing investigation, miss Cabello, and I am deeply sorry for what may have happened,"

Flat as his ugly face was the tone of this man's voice. He was anything but sorry about Camila's loss. He was just there to deliver some bad news, for formalities and shit like that.

Camila on the other hand, wasn't sure how she feels. Alejandro wasn't exactly an absentee father, but he seldom talks to her even when they're both home during holidays and such. He doesn't speak much to her unless it has something to do with school. Even when he was around, it still felt like he wasn't there.

And now, as this person delivers the news of her father's death, it was as if there isn't any difference at all.

She is still alone.

Except, it is different now. She may have spent most of her time by herself but she knows her dad was just out there. He may exist in apathy, somewhere in the depths of depressing reclusiveness, but point of the matter is that he was there. Any time she wants to speak to him, he's just there. But right now, somebody's telling Camila that her dad is really gone. Not even a body to hold a funeral for. That she is now officially an orphan. No more parents, no grandparents or siblings or cousins either.

This only validates how much alone she really is in this world.

The man from the ministry continued to prattle on with the details of her father's bequests in his will, the details of her inheritance. The Cabello family isn't the wealthiest but they do have substantial amount of wealth, in gold and muggle currency, and several properties attached to their pureblood name. And being the last Cabello in existence, the soon-to-be sixteen year old Camila will inherit all of it.

But she doesn't care about any of that.

She suddenly remembers why she wanted to become the best witch there is. Flashbacks from when she was just a tiny impressionable child, looking up at her strong, formidable father with all the admiration she can muster. She remembers why she wanted to become the best duelist of this generation. And that is to be the best just like her father; to ultimately protect the people she loves just like her father did. For a while, since she became conscious of the world around her, that was all she cared about. Even if the distance between her and her father started growing on each day that passed. She remembers that she had always wanted to be the best defender this magical world has ever seen.

And despite being the sad recluse father that he was, Camila loves her dad so much and her world centered around him and making him proud.

And now, it slowly hits her.

Her father passed away. He is gone. The one person she once aimed to protect one day is now dead.

"How did he die?"

The man from the ministry was caught off guard by the sudden query. He stumbles on his words as he wasn't really prepared for this particular question. He expected to only read Alejandro Cabello's will to his daughter, not recount the gory details in which his body was found. Or the speculations surrounding his death.

Besides, the matter surrounding the auror's death remains strictly confidential.

However, Hogwarts' headmistress doesn't seem to be perturbed by that one question.

"Nothing is accurately confirmed so far," Normani begins, "But according to what the other aurors found, your father's remains were similar to those who perished during the attack at Sanctum Cove,"