NINE

* * *

Since she was a very young impressionable girl, not even a year old, she had exhibited magical powers that was beyond anybody's grasp. She has heard people say it was a curse left by the dark witch Sinuhe, because the woman despised her mother with every fiber of her being.

But she can feel that it isn't all there is . . .

Her mother, she taught her to accept herself no matter how different she may turn out to be. She taught her to explore her powers, guided her to understand which is wrong and which is right; which is the kind thing to do or which is the wise thing to do; which one is good and which one is evil. Despite other people's doubts and fears, Lauren's mother encouraged her to be brave and wise and face the world with compassion and open mind.

And in the times she spent with her mom, she learned a great deal about the magic inside her. And a powerful magic indeed it is. A powerful magic that is neither dark or otherwise.

Nor does it all come from a curse, cast by one murderous witch.

But still, what she has, it is the kind of magic that draws the attention of any power-seeking creatures in the world. She is only fifteen and there are a lot of things she has to learn. But the best teacher she ever had is now gone . . .

"Do you understand today's lesson, miss Morgado?"

Lauren looks up and looks right into the deep brown eyes of the new defense against the dark arts teacher, her new teacher, professor Hansen.

The woman has that knowing look in her eyes. She wants her focused on what she was trying to teach in class.

It was a bit confusing for the other students, the sudden change in the subject of the professor's teaching since she formerly taught charms. But for Lauren, she might just know why that sudden change is happening.

Just like the headmistress, professor Hansen is one of the ministry's many eyes and ears; snooping around and looking out for things that may disrupt the peace and order that has been established and enforced for so many years. Clearly, the ministry trusts her to educate Hogwarts students how to properly defend themselves in case of any form of attack.

And as of recently, Lauren's existence has become a key reason why the balance of peace and order has been somewhat disturbed.

"Yes," she nods, "Yes, professor, I understand,"

The older woman paused to study the girl intently. She has been staring off during class and it was quite unusual of her. But the professor opts to continue the lesson instead of prying for more.

"Alright, then tell me again what today's lesson is all about . . ."

Lauren easily recites the subject matter; recounts what the professor has been babbling about with her own input as well. For anyone else, it was quite impressive. But Lauren can only do so much to hide the fact that she's not quite okay. Professor Hansen knows the circumstances that led her to Hogwarts, its easy for her to see through her student's facade.

And Lauren can definitely feel Camila staring the entire time. No matter how subtle she tries to be.

The class drags on for a while longer. On the very second professor Hansen dismisses everyone, Lauren was first to leave the room. She doesn't notice the woman call upon her boss and report her unusual behavior.

"Lo! Wait!"

She hears Camila call out. She enjoys her company, loves being around her. But she kept her pace, leaving the Slytherin girl behind. Wanting some time to be alone for today.