Chapter 35

A few weeks later, I look down at my phone at the message from Carly and Colin, in our secret group chat to plan things where I can see Nova.

It's been alright. It's hard, trying to find time between work and her tight schedule. Most of the time, when Wesley works overnight, Nova goes over to Colin's house and spends the night there. I normally come over and pick her up, or spend the night there with them.

Now, we are trying to plan a day with everyone to spend some time together, like the good ole days. Anna, Jax's fiancée, works today, so we are planning to have a beach day.

Carly: Around what time?

Colin: Nova just said yes. She will be by our house around noon.

Me: We can go then I guess. I'm on the beach so it'll only take me a few seconds to get there

Carly: Okay, that's good. Should we meet you and Jax at your hotel?

Me: Yeah that sounds fine. See you guys soon.

I move to the side of the room, placing my phone on the bedside table and moving into the bathroom. Entering the bathroom, I grab a black tank top and some swim trunks.

I grab my phone and my keys and walk out into the elevator. I ride it down and step out, walking towards my car.

Pulling out of the parking garage under the hotel, I roll the windows down and drive down the street towards the liquor store. I know Jax will drink, probably Carly and Colin too. Greg never drank that much but he might want something.

In the parking lot, I make sure to park far away from the other cars. Walking inside, the smell of axe body spray and incense. Hopefully no one here knows me.

Keeping my head down and my hands in my pockets, I walk towards the back of the store and get a 24 pack of Bud Light. I carry that to the front, where I get an airplane bottle for both Jax and I.

"This all for today?" The old scruffy man says. He looks up and smiles.

"My daughter would never believe this." He says astounded. I laugh and place my things onto the counter.

"You're Dustin Clark, aren't you?"

"Yes sir I am." I mumble, reaching for my wallet in my back pocket.

"Can I please get an autograph for my daughter. She watches your movies all of the time." Inside, my hate for being famous takes over. I cant go to a fucking store without being recognized or harrased or being photographed.

"Sure." He hands me a bottle of whiskey and a sharpie. I scribble my name onto the glass bottle and hand it back to him.

"Thank you." He says. I place a twenty on the counter.

"Keep the change." I tell the man before walking out of the store.

As I'm sliding into the driver's seat of the car, my phone buzzes.

Jax: We still on for today?

Me: yeah, at the liquor store now.

Jax: Okay. Who's all gonna show up?

Me: Carly, Colin, Greg, Nova and her son, me and you and the girls.

Jax: Aight see you in a little bit

Me: yep

I put my phone into the cup holder beside me and pulled out of the parking space, turning onto the main road.

Realizing there are going to be children there, I need beach toys for them. And I don't have a hat or bodyguards. I can't go into the store.

I reach for my phone again and find the number I didn't want to call today. I know she's going to force herself into the situation. I press the dial and listen to the sound of the phone ringing.