Teaching Marinette Chinese

"Thank you so much for coming to help me, Yin! I owe you so much!" Said Marinette.

"Careful, you might regret what you say later," I jokingly warned her.

"Whatever. Anyways, how come you've never told me you could speak Chinese!"

"Well," I said. "You never asked." Apparently, Yin can speak three languages, English, Chinese and Malay since she lived in Malaysia. And now that I'm in her body, I have her knowledge. Which also includes many other things that I'm not going to talk about.

"True, but anyways please start teaching me!"

"So what are you planning to say to your uncle?" I asked her.

"I was thinking of just telling him my name and welcoming him to my home."

"Okay, so do you want to learn how to say that, or have I tell him?"

"I think I'd want to learn it. I want to impress him, but then maybe you can translate the rest," said Marinette.

"Sure," I took a piece of paper and a pen and wrote down some Chinese character and the pronunciation.

"So, what you need to know, is that the pronunciation of the words are very important. Saying hello to someone in Chinese with bad pronunciation could end with you calling them a good horse. I remember the amount of tears I had shed when I was learning the汉语拼音. My mother was a tough nut when it come to my education."

"Dang, that's rough! How am I supposed to learn it within two hours?"

"Don't worry, you have me! So, to have go0d pronunciation, you must first master the four sounds of 汉语拼音. A simple step." I demonstrated the four sounds for her. "Now you try."

She sounds like I stole her diary.

We continued with this for the next ten minutes before Marinette got it right. Oh, boy. And that was the easy part.

"Now, you name is going to have to change, or you'll lose your sound after. Okay, your name is going to be 玛丽内特. The first word is on the second sound, try saying it. Like this, Mǎ.

Her attempt was actually decent.

"The second character is on the third sound, try saying it without me demonstrating."

She struggles to find the right pitch.

I laughed at her try. "No, like this, lì."

For the rest of the half hour, I made Marinette practice saying her name. When she could finally say it, I moved on to the rest of the sentence.

"So, hi in Chinese is 你好,but there is also another version that sounds just like the one we're saying now, 嗨. It's basically the same thing so we're moving on now.

"You want to say, I am Marinette, right?" Marinette nodded her head. "Okay. Me, or I, in Chinese is 我.It's the third sound, wǒ."

"Wǒ, right?" Asked Marinette.

"You got it right the first time! Now, I am is 我是. This is an easier version, there's a harder one that you could maybe learn in the future. 是 is on the fourth sound and- There! You've got it! Bow try saying it all at once."

"我是, um, Ma ni ne ta."

"Um, no. 玛丽内特."

"Oh, sorry. 我是玛丽内特. Was that good?"

"That was great! Now to say welcome to my house. Welcome in Chinese is 欢迎, on the first and second sound."

"Han lin."

"The欢 is pronounced with a u," I said, writing the pronunciation down on the paper. "Try saying it again."

"欢lin."

"And the迎 starts with a y."

"欢迎?"

"Yes! Now say it together with the previous sentence."

"我是玛丽内特, 欢迎?"

"Great! Now let's work on to my home. To is 到, but here we'll be using 来到instead. It's on-"

"The second and fourth sound, right?"

"Correct!"

"Okay, so来到?"

I nodded my head. Marinette is a quick learner.

"Here it's, my house so...?"

"Um, 我?"

"Mm, hmm. My house is 我的家, 的is kinda used like an apostrophe s, that's not its only purpose, though.

"And house means 家."

"Okay, so...我是玛丽内特, 欢迎来到我的家."

"Wonderful! Just keep repeating the same sentence over and over again to not forget it.

********

This turned out to be longer that I thought...But, yes. I speak Chinese. :D

Also, if u liked the chap, pls vote :D Ur one small action helps alot <3

Word count: 682