Chapter Four: Missionaries - New Guild (1)

Start from the beginning

"Role of the Wanderer! Rule of Rending!" I quickly got ready to counter Zabaniyya attack even though my body felt like giving up at the moment. I don't know how long I can hold out but I have to keep on fighting...

"Wrath of Longinus!" The torrents of Hellfire invade my flesh, burning me from the inside. I could feel a shock of sharp pain through my body and I almost blacked out. However...

"Come forth! Boundless Tail!" Somehow, I managed to slash through the shapeless Hellfire. Even though I managed to do that I could still understand the difference in powers between us. My vision was getting blurry and I don't know how I am still standing.

Even though everything was hurting me, I looked directly into Zabaniyya's eyes. I wasn't ready to give up. I can still keep going. This is just a workout for me! I just have to keep on fighting... People on counting on me... I have to protect my friends...

'Hati... Maria... Ryota... I have to win this... For my friends... I have to do this for the people who I care about...' My legs were shaking but I kept on slashing at Zabaniyya. My swings were not that firm but I kept on attacking.

Zabaniyya assumes his fighting stance. I don't know if I could handle the next attacks from him but I got ready to land a hit on him as well, I don't think I will be able to take him down with this hit but I had to try!

We charge at each other, but at that moment, a bright glow illuminates the area. I then heard the voice of someone familiar. "Masato!"

Ryota enters the church and all the wounds I was dealt from Zabaniyya were heal instantly. I felt a huge amount of energy shot through my body and I swing my sword at Zabaniyya with full power.

"Grraaaaah!" As my sword gets ready to land a hit on Zabaniyya, I notice something surprising... He closed his eyes and allowed me to strike him... Zabaniyya falls to the floor of the church. He looks up at me and smiles.

"Congratulations... You win." Zabaniyya's voice is soft as he looks at me with gentle eyes from the floor. I feel my legs give out finally and I drop to the ground, my sword falling out of my sore hands.

"Why...? You lost on purpose..." I look at Zabaniyya, confused at what he just did... He could have easily defeated me but he gave up. Why did he give up? I don't understand it at all. I have a bitter taste in my mouth that won't go away and my eyes feel hot.

"I have lost. At last... I have found the answer I have sought. What I desired was not forgiveness... I wanted a rival who would fight for the people who are in the wrong. I wanted someone who could put an end to my arrogance. I wanted someone strong enough to stop me when I was wrong. My long, long journey... may have been to meet you here today. I'm sorry. You probably don't understand. These are just my selfish sentiments. Thank you, young one with fire in your eyes... I will pray that your flames burn as long as they can. Will you... give me your hand?" Zabaniyya lift his hand that was shaking slightly towards me and I softly held it with both my hands.

A bright light emits from our clasped hands. This was a familiar light that I saw before...

"This light... is the same one I saw in Ikebukuro. It's the same as Oniwaka... I saw this light when I became friends with him." I wonder if this meant I did it... But this bitter taste won't disappear from my mouth at all.

"The preliminary pact has been completed. I will join your guild on a temporary basis. My Rule has also been placed below yours, in terms of hierarchy. Now, all you have to do is touch the Exception that overflows from that boy's Sacred Artifact, thereby bringing him into your guild... and this nightmare will finally end." Zabaniyya looks toward the Chalice that was currently in Ryota's hands.