9

Lauren's able to carry Steve for a few miles before she collapses. She lays him down on a tree as she lays on the grass.

Steve coughs and finally wakes up.

" Where are we?" He asks.

" 4 miles out," Lauren says as she holds up 4 fingers, currently unable to get up.

" Why didn't you teleport us out?"

" I-I don't know where to go."

" Here, take my hand."

Steve holds out his hand, and she takes it. She sees the location in his mind. Lauren closes her eyes and tries to focus. She focuses on the location, and teleports them there.

Steve knocks at the door, and Sam is the one to open the blinds. He's quick to open the door.

"Hey, man," Sam says.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low," Steve says.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us," Lauren adds.

"Not everyone," Sam says.

He lets them inside and shows them to the spare room. They take turns showering, Steve lets Lauren go first.

Lauren lets the water drip down her back, the heat soothing her sore muscles. She turns off the water and steps out of the shower. She wraps a towel around her body and walks into the bedroom.

" Your turn," She says to her partner.

Steve looks at her, seeing as she's in a towel he quickly adverts his eyes. He keeps his head down as he gets in the shower. Lauren dries off and gets dressed.

She puts on her jeans and tank top and socks. She dries her hair with a towel as Steve gets dressed in the bathroom. Steve looks at her through the bathroom mirror, then walks out and sits next to her on the bed.

"You okay?" He asks.

"Yeah," She says.

"What's going on?"

His muscles look extra big in his tight, white t-shirt.

"When I first joined S.H.I.E.L.D. I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but... I guess I can't tell the difference anymore."

"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business."

Lauren looks up into his baby blue eyes. She keeps looking as she says her next words.

" Do you trust me?"

" You just saved my life... I trust you."

She smiles.

" If... things were different... and I didn't share my memories with you, now you be honest with me... would you still trust me?"

"Lo... you know I would. I know you would save me in a heartbeat... I would do the same for you .And I'm always honest."

"Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing," Lauren says with a playful smirk.

"Well, guess I just like to know who I'm fighting," Steve says as he puts his hand over hers.

Lauren looks down at their hands, then back up at Steve. She looks into his eyes and he looks into hers. He takes this time to look at her features.

Her beautiful eyes.

Her button nose.

Her plump lips.

Her defined jaw.

Lauren draws her bottom lip in between her teeth as she inhales his scent. She leans in closer and he copies her movements. They both pause as they gaze into each other. Then at the same time they close the gap between them and lock their lips together. Lauren's hands reach up to cup his face as Steve's hands rest on her waist.

Their lips move together in sweet bliss. Neither of them dare to pull away. 

Lauren licks his bottom lip and he opens his mouth. Their tongues dance together as their breathing becomes heavy. Steve lifts her onto his lap, his grip on her waists tightening. Her fingers get lost in his golden blonde hair as she gently bites his lip. Her actions make Steve take a deep breath

They both quickly pull away once they hear someone clear their throat

" I made breakfast. If you guys eat that sorta thing."

Sam speaks quickly and walks away.

Lauren then gets up and walks to the dining table. Steve follows behind her, both acting like nothing had happened.

Once they eat, it's time for business.

"So, the question is, who at S.H.I.E.L.D. could launch a domestic missile strike?" Lauren asks.

"Pierce,"  Steve says.

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world," She says as she circles the round table.

"But he's not working alone. Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star, "He says.

"So was Jasper Sitwell," Lauren adds as she crosses her arms.

"So, the real question is, how do the two most wanted people in Washington kidnap a S.H.I.E.L.D. officer in broad daylight?" Steve asks.

"The answer is, you don't," Sam says as he drop a file down on the table.

"What's this?" Steve asks.

"Call it a résumé," Sam says.

Lauren picks up a picture of Sam in uniform.

"Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you? You didn't say he was a Pararescue," She says.

"Is this Riley?" Steve asks.

"Yeah," Sam says.

"I heard they couldn't bring in the chopper because of the RPGs. What did you use? A stealth chute?" Lauren asks.

"No. These," Sam says.

Sam hands Steve a file for something called Project Falcon.

"I thought you said you were a pilot," Steve says.

"I never said pilot," Sam says.

"I can't ask you to do this, Sam. You got out for a good reason," Steve says.

"Dude, Captain America needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in," Sam says.

"Where can we get our hands on one of these things?" Steve asks.

"The last one is at Fort Meade. Behind three guarded gates and a 12-inch steel wall," Sam says.

Steve looks over at Lauren, and she chuckles.

" Easy."