6

In order to access the flash drive without S.H.I.E.L.D. raiding their apartments, Lauren and Steve head to the mall.

"First rule of going on the run is don't run, walk," Lauren says as she speed walks.

"If I run in these shoes, they're gonna fall off," Steve says.

He fixes his glasses and his baseball cap.

" You know, you look cute in glasses," She says.

" Is now really the time?" He asks.

They walk into the Apple Store and Lauren picks the last computer on the table.

"The drive has a Level Six homing program, so as soon as we boot up S.H.I.E.L.D. will know exactly where we are."

"How much time will he have?"

"About nine minutes from," Laure says and enters the drive into the computer, " now".

She accesses the files on the drive.

"Fury was right about that ship. Somebody's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some sort of AI. It keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands."

"Can you override it?"

"The person who developed this is slightly smarter than me. Slightly. I'm gonna try running a tracer. This is a program that S.H.I.E.L.D. developed to track hostile malware, so if we can't read the file, maybe we can find out where it came from."

An employee with long hair and a beard walks up to them.

"Can I help you guys with anything?" He asks.

"Oh, no. My fiancé was just helping me with some honeymoon destinations," Lauren says as she wraps her arms around Steve's shoulders and puts on a smile.

"Right. We're getting married," Steve says.

"Congratulations. Where are you guys thinking about going?" The employee asks as he looks at the screen.

Steve tries to hide the computer screen with his body and peers over his shoulder to see the location Lauren is tracking.

"New Jersey," Steve blurts out.

Lauren chuckles and rolls her eyes. The employee stares at Steve for a bit too long. Steve tenses up, thinking his cover is blown.

"I have the exact same glasses."

"Wow, you two are practically twins," Lauren says.

"Yeah, I wish. Specimen", He says as he motions to Steve's body, "If you guys need anything, I've been Aaron."

The employee finally walks off.

"You said nine minutes. Come on,"  Steve says as he looks at his watch.

"Relax," Lauren says.

She pulls up an exactly location in New Jersey, and Steve looks at it intensely.

"Got it. You know it?" She asks.

"I used to. Let's go."

Steve pulls the flash drive out of the computer and puts his hand on her back to guide her out of the store.

"Standard tac team. Two behind, two across, and two coming straight at us. If they make us, I'll engage, you hit the south escalator to the metro," He says.

Steve tries to analyze the situation, but Lauren is one step ahead of him.

"Shut up and put your arm around me. Laugh at something I said."

"What?"

"Do it."

Steve then puts his arm around her shoulders, ducks his head, and laughs as he pass two agents. Then they get on the escalator. Lauren see Agent Rumlow going up the escalator as they're going down. She thinks fast and turns around.

" Kiss me," Lauren says as she looks up into his eyes.

Her words make Steve stumble with his.

" Wh-What... I--"

He gets cut off by Lauren placing her hand at the back of Steve's neck and pulling his head down so his lips meet hers. They'd both be lying if they said they didn't feel anything. For a moment, they forget about their mission.

Agent Rumlow glances over and quickly looks away, suddenly uncomfortable.

Lauren and Steve move their lips in synch, neither wanting the moment to end. Steve puts his hands on her waist as he pulls her closer to him.

As she comes back to reality, Lauren opens her eyes and slowly pulls away. She glances up and Steve who's pupils have now dilated. She sucks in her bottom lip and she turns back around. Steve wipes off her lip-gloss with the back of his hand and clears his throat. They walk down the escalator and make their way to the garage.

Neither of them say a word.