3

Steve takes up Sam on his offer and drops by the VA. He stands at the back of the room and listens to the meeting.

"The thing is. I think it's getting worse. A cop pulled me over last week. He thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag. I thought it was an IED," A woman shares.

"Some stuff you leave there. Other stuff you bring back. It's our job to figure out how to carry it. Is it gonna be in a big suitcase or in a little man-purse. It's up to you," Sam says from his podium.

After the meeting is over, Steve sticks around.

"Look who it is, the running man," Sam says.

"Caught the last few minutes. It's pretty intense," Steve says.

"Yeah, brother, we all got the same problems. Guilt, regret."

"You lose someone?"

"My wingman, Riley. Flying a night mission. Standard PJ rescue op. Nothing we hadn't done 1,000 times before. Until an RPG knocked Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch."

"I'm sorry."

"After that, I had a really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?"

"But you're happy now, back in the world?"

"The number of people giving me orders is down to about zero. So, hell yeah. Are you thinking about getting out?"

"Sometimes..... I don't know. To be honest, I kind of just want to settle down sometime. But I don't know what I would do with myself if I did."

"Ultimate fighting? Just a great idea off the top of my head. Seriously, you could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy?"

"I don't know. Well— there is this one girl that I've had my eyes on for a while. She, uh.... she is really something else.. you know? I just.. I don't know if the feeling is the same for her. But, she just so happens to be one of the most gorgeous women on the planet, and I don't exactly think I'm her type."

"Dude, you're Captain America! You are one of the best men in the world, and not to mention insanely good looking."

His words make Steve chuckle.

Steve exits the building to get on his bike. He starts to head back home, but half way there he decides to drop by Lauren's apartment. He parks his bike out front and heads up the stairs. He makes his way to the third floor and knocks on apartment 3C. Within seconds, she answers the door.

Once she sees who it is, she's relieved. She tucks her gun back into her jeans.

" Steve... what are you doing here?" Lauren asks.

He thinks for a moment, and answers honestly.

" I don't know. I was on my way home and I just... I felt like I should come over."

His words make her soften. She tilts her head and smiles.

" Would you... wanna get a drink? There's a nice place a couple blocks down."

On the inside he's praying that she'll say yes.

She's so tempted to say yes.

" I'm sorry, Steve... but I can't."

Steve's smile drops, and just now notices that it seems as though she's hiding the inside of her apartment from him. His first thought is another man.

" Th-That's fine. I'll, uh... I'll see you tomorrow."

Steve turns around and walks down the stairs. It takes everything in her not to run after him, but she sighs as closes the door instead.

 It takes everything in her not to run after him, but she sighs as closes the door instead

" You're an idiot, you know that?" Natasha asks from the couch.

As Lauren walks back to the couch, she flicks her friend on the temple.

" I can't risk him knowing you're here," Lauren responds.

Natasha sighs and hands Lauren a file. Her eyes widen in disbelief.

" How... where did you get this?"

" I called in some favors from Kiev."

Lauren opens the file and sees the face of someone she hoped to never see again and whom Steve hopes to see again.

" He should be on ice right now," Lauren says.

" From what I've heard, he's back online," Natasha responds.

Within minutes of their conversation starting, a sniper is watching them through a scope. Lauren senses something is wrong and glances out the window. The bullet is fired from the gun, and she sees it hurdling towards her in slow motion. Lauren grabs Natasha and flips them over the couch. They both reach for a gun behind their back, and at the same time pop up and point their gun out the window.

It appears that after the one shot, the shooter left his post.