4

Steve walks up the stairs of his apartment building where he finds his neighbor talking on her phone.

"So sweet. That is so nice."

She hangs up the phone and drops it in her laundry basket.

"Hi. My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac. Yeah," She says.

"Hey, Kate. Of you want... If you want, you're welcome to use my machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement," Steve offers.

"Yeah? What's the cost?"

"A cup of coffee?"

After his rejection from Lauren, he hopes to at least make a new friend.

"Thank you, but I already have a load in downstairs, and you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished a rotation in the infectious disease ward, so..." Kate says.

"Well, I'll keep my distance," Steve says as he holds his hands up.

"Maybe not too far. Oh, and I think you left your stereo on," Kate says as he's about to open his door.

"Oh, right. Thank you."

As soon as Kate leaves, Steve knows something is wrong, . So instead of going through the door, he climbs in through the window. He carefully walks over to pick up his shield and peer around the corner. Then he sees Fury sitting down on the chair in the lounge.

"I don't remember giving you a key," Steve says.

"You really think I'd need one? My wife kicked me out," Fury says as he leans forward.

"I didn't know you were married."

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me."

"I know, Nick. That's the problem."

Steve flips the light switch to turn on the lap, and what he sees his Fury bruised and bleeding all over. Fury puts his finger up to his lips, and turns the lamp off.

Fury types on his phone, then shows it to Steve.

Ears everywhere.

"I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash," Fury says.

And types SHIELD compromised.

"Who else knows about your wife?"

"Just... my friends," Fury says as he stands up.

You and me.

"Is that what we are?"

"That's up to you."

And not 5 seconds later, 3 shots are fired into the apartment, all of them hitting Fury. Steve grabs his arm and drags him into the kitchen. Just as he's about to walk, Fury grabs his arm, places a flash drive in his hand, and says;

"Don't trust anyone".

Someone opens the front door.

"Captain Rogers?"

Kate comes in with a gun in her hand.

"Captain, I'm Agent 13 of S.H.I.E.L.D. Special Service."

"Kate?"

"I'm are assigned to protect you."

"On who's order?"

She walks over to him and sees Fury laying on the ground.

"His," Kate says then checks his pulse and speaks into her walkie., " Foxtrot is down, he's unresponsive. I need EMTs."

"Do we have a 20 on the shooter?"

Steve looks out the window and sees a flash of silver as someone runs across the rooftop.

"Tell him I'm in pursuit."