Chapter 19: The ball

Gently walking down the hallway, Dream wondered. He wondered... why Nightmare wouldn't let Killer out of their room. Literally, he was bringing her breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And now that there was only a few minutes before the ball Killer and Nightmare still weren't out of their room... What were they doing?

Dream was startled a bit when he felt a hand on his shoulder. When he looked over he saw Cross. She seemed nervous. She had a small white hat with a black bow tied around it. Her dress was amazing, mesmerizing. Dream looked at her in amazement. She was perfect.

She was wearing a white corset, the sleeves were very puffy but didn't cover her whole arm. A long skirt was wrapped around the bottom part of the corset. Making the dress suddenly expand and look quite mesmerizing.

Dream smiled and grabbed her hand gently so he could kiss the top of it. Cross's face erupted in blush. She quickly looked away, Dream only chuckled and gently tugged her forward so they could head towards the ball

~

Killer stared at herself in a mirror, behind her Nightmare sat down reading a book. Truly Killer was extremely nervous, could she really dance? This morning Nightmare had been teaching her. He had explained to her that the only person she would dance with was him, he said that their first dance had to be "private". Even if they were dancing in front of the public she would only dance with him. This kind of helped Killer a bit but it didn't stop her from being extremely nervous.

Killer's dress was based on a dress and a half corset half dress combination. First, the dress underneath was a light brown. From far away it could have looked like a white dress. On top, she had a light red corset when. As soon as the corset ended a small thin bright red with vines partners came out. In the front part, it made an upside-down V and as it went around the back of the dress it became longer. The white dress went up and underneath the corset. It had a turtleneck and the sleeves covered her arms completely, they were a bit puffy but overall cute.

"I can feel your fear" Nightmare mumbled.

"I know..."

"Why are you scared?" Nightmare asked.

"I have never been to such a big event... my parents never really allowed me to walk out of our land, I was always walking around our farm or inside our house reading or helping around" Killer mumbled.

"Killer..." Nightmare put his book away before standing up and walking over to Killer. He slowly placed his hands on her shoulders. "Don't worry, you'll be fine" Nightmare reassured.

"Will my brother be there?" Killer whispered.

"Of course, no come on, we don't want to be late to the ball. Do we now?" Nightmare smiled. Killer smiled weakly before nodding her head. Soon both were walking out of their room and heading for the ballroom.

Killer felt as if her stomach was doing flips, her throat felt poisoned, and her mouth was dry. She felt her body want to pass out any second soon. She had never and never thought she would interact with such a big crowd of people. And as soon as they stepped into the ballroom Killer just froze. Nightmare was about to start walking forward when he suddenly felt a tug from Killer. But she hadn't done it on purpose and he knew.

He stepped back again and put a hand on her back. With the other one, he grabbed one of her hands and guided her forward. They walked towards where Dream, Cross, and the king and queen were. King Herrit smiled and looked over to the crowd. Everyone was talking or eating some of the small snacks that had been served.

"Welcome my son and my daughter-in-law" King Herrit smiled.

"Hello father," Nightmare said, his voice becoming kind of cold and dead. For some reason, he didn't seem happy. He didn't seem pleased. Killer wondered why Nightmare acted so cold towards his father, had something happened?