"And that is..?"

"To be the Dead King's heir."

Eyes widening and breath hitching, you blinked rapidly, the abruptness of the news making you breathless. Though, it made sense. You were Death Kin, child of the Dead King. He had said this was all a test, or something like it. He was testing you to see if you were fit to rule.

"Well, shit." You muttered, taking a bite from your sandwich. It was dry as sand on your tongue- you had lost your appetite. Swallowing harshly, you groaned, weakly tossing your sandwich back onto the plate. You hunched over and held your head in your hands, the stress of the realization becoming unbearably overwhelming, the weight of your life and the Underworld on your shoulders.

Bane sighed, taking the steps to be by your side and setting a hand on your shoulder delicately, but with enough pressure to bring some comfort and relief. "You don't have to worry about it too much. That's why I'm here. I'm meant to take the brunt of the stress that comes with being Death Kin until you are strong enough to bear it." You stared up at him from the corners of your eyes. "And when is that?" He leaned closer to you, eyes tender and kind. "That will be decided by myself and the King. It won't be thrust upon you until we know you're ready." A laugh forced its way through your lips. "You're making the Dead King sound like some caring father." Bane breathed a chuckle. "That is because he is. You simply don't know him well enough to see that.

"He is harsh. He is strict. He will not protect you, but he will most definitely not harm you."

"Because I'm his kin?"

"That, but also because you are his heir."

A heavy sigh escaped you. "Yeah, his heir." Bane pursed his lips- for the first time you noticed he had taken on his more humanoid form, with dark skin and long black dreadlocks, but still with the same slitted and mystical purple-black eyes. There was concern in his expression. "He would teach you himself, but he cannot walk the land of the living like you can. That is how you are different. I am here in his place, in a way." Lowering your hands, you tilted your head towards him. "Well, that's good at least. This way I don't have to constantly deal with his intimidating aura." He let out a soft laugh. "Yes, see, there's an upside to everything." You snickered at his words, picking up the sandwich and taking another bite, finding it easier to eat now. After all, you had just woken up. You needed to have some breakfast.

______________________________

"Agh, crap." You cursed, staring at the lack of ramen-cups in the pantry. "What is it?" Bane asked, perking up from his spot beside the island counter. "There's no more ramen. I'm gonna go out and get some." You stated, closing the pantry door. "Didn't you already eat?" He asked, to which you shrugged. "I'm still hungry. Also, instant ramen just sounds good right now."

Only after slipping on your shoes did you realize the fault in your logic. "Oh, right, I'm supposed to be dead." Turning to Bane, who waited on the stairway railing in the form of a snake again, you posed a question. "So, I'm supposed to be able to shapeshift, right?" Bane gave a nod. "Yes, why? Would you like to learn now?" You tilted your hand in a "so-so" gesture. "Eh.. kinda. I was wondering if I could change my appearance? Just so that no one recognizes me." Bane shook his head, slinking down from the banister and returning to his humanoid form, but keeping his snake head this time. "Doing something such as that takes much practice. Even I have a hard time doing so. I only have one human appearance, and if I were to try and change it, it would take me months." You prused your lips, letting out a small "oh" as you held a hand to your chin. "Welp, guess I just have to look super shady then."

Grabbing thicker clothing, a hoodie, a hat, and a pair of sunglasses, you made yourself as unidentifiable as possible. "How do I look?" You asked Bane, lowering your glasses to look him in the eye. "Lovely." He said, turning back into a snake and coiling around your shoulders. "What are you doing?" You questioned, the snake shrinking as he wrapped around your arm, heading for your ring finger again. "I'm coming with you." He said, no longer able to speak aloud. You sighed. "You know you could just come with me in your human form." A rumble escaped Bane, the snake already wrapped around your finger again in the shape of a scaly ring. "...No." He grumbled, and a chuckle escaped you as you rolled your eyes. "Alight, fine. Let's go." Guess he isn't a huge fan of being seen in his human form. Wonder why why he's okay with me seeing him like that though... maybe it's a familiar thing?