Kageyama Tobio - Years Gone By

Start from the beginning

Spinning, you watched as he walked away with a sigh. He passed through the doorway. "I— um, okay then! Thanks for the...Advice?"

Through high school, you watched Kageyama's ability grow, and with him the team. Like the years before, you watched games and practices wherever possible, in the most discreet ways to get a glance at Kageyama's form. Karasuno's gym wasn't as large as Kitagawa's though. And the scary look coach had found you out easily.

The rest of your teammates had followed you that day, giggling over your shoulder as they pointed out your eager steps and upturned grin.

"(Y/N), don't interrupt them," one said.

Waving your hand, you continued. "I'm not, I'm not! I've done this loads of times. I just need reference." Your eye's caught Kageyama as he did sets, opposite a silver-headed boy, for rotating spike practice over the net. "Perfect timing!" you cheered quietly.

"Reference? Are you sure you're not just ogling at Kageyama?" Snapping your head over, you gave your smirking teammate a huff.

"Shush."

"So you're the setter on the girl's team?" The coach's voice sounded more gravely up close. Turning your head back to the doorway, you internally groaned at the lack of view inside but gave the man a nervous grin.

"Yes sir. I was wondering if you would be able to coach me, please." Maybe not the best excuse for why you were peeking through the gym doors. Though, if you couldn't learn anything from Kageyama directly, having Ukai as a dependable teacher would prove to be helpful.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Hitting the third and final year, and being the captain of your team was harsh. After 2 years of straight letdowns on most games, and no coach to rely on other than your club supervisor and the occasional one-on-one help with Ukai, it felt like any chance of making it big in volleyball was escaping you with every set.

You could hear Hinata cheering loudly in the crowd as the ball soared over the net and into your side of the court. If he was here, the rest were probably, too. The thought of Kageyama watching made your heart run, ready to work harder.

Those loud cheers were quickly muffled by your own breathing as you watched the ball bounce off your teammate's arms and high into the air. Its arch took it close to the net. Hissing, you got in a couple of quick steps to crouch beneath it. Out of the corner of your eye, you could see the opposing blockers make their move. You jumped with both hands shooting up toward the ball. You watched as the blockers jumped, and with a quick flick, switched your hands.

Off of your right fingertips, the volleyball gently floated over the white plastic line of the net and drops down onto the court with a thump.

The crowd cheered, excited to see more. You continued to tune out the cheers as the ball was rolled beneath the net to your teammate as you rotated positions.

It was a long rally, going back and forth as both teams refused to let the other get ahead.

You breathed heavily as the ball landed in the corner of your side of the court. The ref blew their whistle allowing the opposing team to swap in a player.

Looking up from the floor, you watched the other team's pinch server take to the corner of the pitch. You cursed under your breath but got into position. The player wound up, tossed the ball into the air, and with a perfect hit, sent the ball gliding just over the net before dropping onto the floor.

"A floater, damn it," your libero cussed.

As the next serve came, you lunged forward eager to get the ball into the air, only for it to veer to the side and land just behind you.