28. The Day it all Fell into Place

Author's Note: This is it, the final chapter. Please see the note at the end and let me know your final thoughts?

28. The Day it all Fell into Place

"I GOT A JOB."

Scott, Kirstie, and Matt looked at him in the doorway with wide eyes.

He realized only then that he probably looked crazy, having just swung the door open violently, and screaming like a madman, but his two best friends and his boyfriend slowly smiled.

"Babe, you have a job. Unless you've been lying about where you go for nine hours every day."

"I mean I have a BETTER job," Mitch exclaimed, setting down next to his boyfriend on the couch and pecking him on the cheek. "One without an asshole boss, but still doing what I wanna do."

"When do you start this magical job?" Kirstie asked, happily.

"In exactly two weeks, when I am officially free from Satan himself. I gave my two weeks' notice today."

"Congrats, baby," Scott said, his voice dripping with happiness for him.

"Keep hitting me with good news. Go, go, go," Mitch said, settling further into the couch with his legs draped over Scott's.

His heart pounded as he waited for Scott's update from his doctor's appointment today.

"75% reduction," Scott said, without any context.

The number was only getting better. Mitch nearly screamed.

"Seriously?" He whispered, and sat up to look into his boyfriend's eyes. He hardly noticed that Kirstie and Matt excused themselves from the living room, and he felt his eyes sting.

"Seriously."

Mitch tried to wrap his head around it. Scott had been doing so well, it was as though Mitch was simply waiting for bad news to come and deflate everything.

But looking into those eyes, Mitch was able to ground himself.

Everything was okay.

"What does that mean for you, though? What about... the Skinner Box thing? Is it like that? Will it be temporary, and then when one big one comes through, we'll be back to square one?"

He couldn't contain the hope in his voice. He dreaded Scott's answer to this question.

But he shook his head. "In all of the cases that they've told me about, once it's controlled, it's controlled for the long-run."

"And... yours is... controlled..." Mitch repeated, slowly. Just to make sure that he wasn't missing some big point.

"Mine is probably as controlled as it's going to get," Scott affirmed. "You know it isn't perfect, right? You remember that?" He asked, clearly uncomfortable with how excited Mitch was becoming.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah... floppy droppy seizures. You go blind sometimes and your fingertips tingle. Yadda yadda yadda. So... when are you moving in?"

Scott watched his boyfriend with a look of shock on his face before it broke into a smirk. "How about next weekend?"

Mitch pouted. "You're teasing me, again."

Scott shook his head. "I already squared it away with Matt."

Mitch couldn't stop staring at Scott for long enough to respond. He simply sat there, gaping.

"You... okay?" Scott asked, suddenly nervous.

"This is the best day of my life," Mitch replied, monotonously, as though his body was in shock.